Your Firing Site

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

Dan12

Royal Knight the 4th
Oct 15, 2013
Hey all,

Where is your firing site and what does it consist of, is it grass, flags, concrete etc?

Ours is usually off the grass, but last year decided to place some spare flags we had across the grass, staking into the grass but positioning the cakes ontop of the flags, worked out a lot easier than in the past and kept the cakes a little more protected from the damp.

Wheels etc are usualy secured to posts and knocked into the grass, infont of the cakes closer to the audience, along with fountains etc. In the past ive also secured a range of fountains to wooden boards and then simply moved these outside just before the display starts. Setup.jpeg

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
At bfn we go to a relatives with a much bigger garden than ours, but we have to fire off of a paved area, so have to secure using bricks/sandbags/those frames I put up in the DIY section :)

Nye though we do it just like Dans layout, but with a few old sheets of chipboard :)

pyro-rob

Royal Knight the 3rd
Oct 13, 2012
Bristol
Last year I used Bricks to keep my cakes in place due to a fallen over cake the year before (lucky not many shot left when it fell)
Surround with bricks done a good job on top concrete path. Every year I improve on safety...

Pyrodave1.3

Peasant the 2nd
Oct 8, 2015
Hi dan just a little heads up, when staking down cakes ALWAYS make sure the stake is on the same side of your audience, that way if the cakes do somehow break from the tape you will have less chance of it aiming towards your audience, middle cake in the back.

Reactions: Dan12

Dan12

Royal Knight the 4th
Oct 15, 2013
Hi dan just a little heads up, when staking down cakes ALWAYS make sure the stake is on the same side of your audience, that way if the cakes do somehow break from the tape you will have less chance of it aiming towards your audience, middle cake in the back.
Hi,
Thanks!

Yeah I will ensure that I do this this year, probably spread the flags apart a bit to give me a better chance to stake them all in this way ;)

Reactions: Pyrodave1.3

Firey Dave

Baronet
Oct 25, 2014
Hey all,

Where is your firing site and what does it consist of, is it grass, flags, concrete etc?

Ours is usually off the grass, but last year decided to place some spare flags we had across the grass, staking into the grass but positioning the cakes ontop of the flags, worked out a lot easier than in the past and kept the cakes a little more protected from the damp.

Wheels etc are usualy secured to posts and knocked into the grass, infont of the cakes closer to the audience, along with fountains etc. In the past ive also secured a range of fountains to wooden boards and then simply moved these outside just before the display starts. View attachment 1822
Have the fireworks in your picture been wrapped in cling film? It looks to me lune they have but forgive me if it's my eyes! Lol. I have heard that you can cover fireworks to protect from possible rain and the force of them will penetrate the covering. I've never actually done this but was thinking about covering the bottoms of the fireworks as mine will be going onto grass. Any thoughts/advice on this?

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
That is correct, there is no need to remove the cling film :)
as long as there is no rain forecast though juts covering the bottom should suffice to protect from rising damp

Reactions: Pyrodave1.3

Firey Dave

Baronet
Oct 25, 2014
That is correct, there is no need to remove the cling film :)
as long as there is no rain forecast though juts covering the bottom should suffice to protect from rising damp
Okay cheers, we would re schedule if the weather was iffy so I may just cover the bottoms

Pyrodave1.3

Peasant the 2nd
Oct 8, 2015
Okay cheers, we would re schedule if the weather was iffy so I may just cover the bottoms
You dont necessarily need to cover the bottoms, you could lay them on boards or even cardboard boxes, what i usually do is when i get cakes that come in boxes i usually just leave them in there box, Cut away the lids of the box and put them in black bags then wrap the hole thing, then when it comes close to firing just unwrap the top of the bag leaving the cakes still wrapped just for extra precautions :)