Why Celebrate Bonfire/fireworks Night?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
On 5th November 1605, 410 years ago this year, a group of English Catholics lead by Robert Catesby, failed an assassination attempt against King James I. Of course, this is widely known and taught in most schools around the country. But who'd have thought this event would have such a legacy. Over the years, the 5th November has become one of the largest traditions in the country, celebrated by many millions. Traditions from as early as the 17th century still go strong today, and actually, despite the huge time gap, the way we celebrate Bonfire Night has hardly changed at all.

The tradition of having bonfires is the oldest by far, possibly going back to the 5th in 1605 itself. Only 50 years later, fireworks were first used to celebrate the fall of the plot. Both of these traditions are still very much alive today, with the sale of fireworks contributing over £15 million to the UK's economy every year.

The 5th November is a significant moment in the history of the UK, and like other events that happen in other countries are never forgotten (sadly, usually for all the wrong reasons), we should never forget it. We should keep alive traditions of bonfires and fireworks, that are a part of our history. Of course, with explosives and fire come problems; around 1000 people are injured every year by fireworks. But this is no reason to ditch a tradition we've had for many years. Over 3000 people are killed every year on the roads, but we don't stop driving do we? The tradition of Bonfire Night, and the reason we celebrate it should never be forgotten

Remember, remember, the 5th of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
We see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should never be forgot

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
I believe it is for many reasons, on a religious point of view, a lot of people celebrate it for what catesby visioned, on the other hand people who believe in the government, they celebrate it for the failed attempt. Some websites out there claim to why we truly celebrate it for the actual temp.

For myself i like the whole ambient of bonfire night, and smell of bonfires and fireworks.

Reactions: Somersetpyro

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
BFN is a great evening, the smells, all the family together then the fireworks to top it all off, perfect ambience if you ask me :)

the religious aspect is one i didn't really consider actually, i suppose Catesby was just supporting what he and the others believed in

Reactions: gaz