What Will Happen To Fireworks In The Uk Should We Vote Out Of Europe June 23rd?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
This is burning on my mind;what would happen to consumer fireworks here in the UK if we vote come to come out of Europe on June 23rd? Worse consumer firework products? New safety standards? The right to retain BS7114 part 2 1988? The removal of the CE mark from current items? Price rises on fireworks? Interesting food for thought. It throws up some interesting thoughts for retailers/importers/distributors/manufacturers and end consumers i.e us pyronuts and is something to ponder on. ;)

Reactions: Rich and gaz

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
you bet me to it on this thread Anthony, I just deleted it.

on the response, I would imagine, all this mess what's going to be thrown up in the air is going to be one massive headache and very costly. (To a certain point.)

But my personal thoughts, it would be nice to keep something British considering our history with Robert's Catesby/Guy Fawkes why we traditionally celebrate with fireworks.

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I think if we leave the EU, we'll still keep the CE regulations, as the sheer costs involved to change again would be massive for everyone. However, i would like to see a return to the BS, as not only do I think that the fireworks produced then were better, the safety standards were also far better. I've been very surprised just how lax the CE category 2 regulations are, with debris from cat2 cakes and rockets easily making 20+m from the firework

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
I think if we leave the EU, we'll still keep the CE regulations, as the sheer costs involved to change again would be massive for everyone. However, i would like to see a return to the BS, as not only do I think that the fireworks produced then were better, the safety standards were also far better. I've been very surprised just how lax the CE category 2 regulations are, with debris from cat2 cakes and rockets easily making 20+m from the firework
That final sentiment in your sentence is EXACTLY why the UK should keep the tried and trusted BS7114 part 2 1988 requirements-outdated it might be but it's a very sensible benchmark that keeps very powerful fireworks where they should be (AT 25 METRES AWAY FROM SPECTATORS), and keeps the spectators well clear of any fallout and debris that falls many metres outside the firework's functioning zone. ;)Well said

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
Time will tell Somer If accidents rates go up while with CE and we are out of the EU then I can bet we will go back to BS. But yeah you have a valid point, especially for the cost.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Time will tell Somer If accidents rates go up while with CE and we are out of the EU then I can bet we will go back to BS. But yeah you have a valid point, especially for the cost.
Unfortunately i think if accident rates rise under CE, i can see the people in power restricting the use of fireworks even further, or even blanket bans. Tbh i'd go as far as saying that the new regulations are dangerous, particularly after last weekend we had burning debris from an AF gold rush landing in the audience, who were some 2 and a half times further away than the specified distance. Yeah, okay BS was a bit too strict, and it would've been nice to have a 10 or 15m category, but i'd rather it be that way round than how it is now

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
Unfortunately i think if accident rates rise under CE, i can see the people in power restricting the use of fireworks even further, or even blanket bans. Tbh i'd go as far as saying that the new regulations are dangerous, particularly after last weekend we had burning debris from an AF gold rush landing in the audience, who were some 2 and a half times further away than the specified distance. Yeah, okay BS was a bit too strict, and it would've been nice to have a 10 or 15m category, but i'd rather it be that way round than how it is now
I disagree, it wouldn't be a ban it would revert back to BS, well there 3 forums who would make this apparent if you get what I mean. But assuming this is only if we leave the EU. I'm not sure of a ban if we do stay but that can remain to be seen, Currently anything is possible.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I disagree, it wouldn't be a ban it would revert back to BS, well there 3 forums who would make this apparent if you get what I mean. But assuming this is only if we leave the EU. I'm not sure of a ban if we do stay but that can remain to be seen, Currently anything is possible.
There's only one way to find out i guess, and hopefully accident rates won't rise, which is the best thing for everyone concerned :)

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
I don't think there would be a ban but there may be a call to bring back the 5 and 25 metre distances and classifications to fireworks so that small insignificant harmless tame stuff is 5 metres away from spectators for back gardens as was ideal, and 25 metres from spectators for bigger more powerful stuff not intended for back gardens. Those two protocols under BS7114 were much much better, more practical and more safer tbh imho. ;)