What Is Pancake Day And When Is Pancake Day

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
What Is Pancake Day?

Pancake day is when people in the UK and around the world make and eat pancakes. The Christian religion called pancake day as Shrove Tuesday. In the United Kingdom there are many pancake variations, Such as Welsh cakes or light cakes are common in Wales, in Gloucester they are made with suet.

There is of course the pancake race, People around the UK take part in the races carry thin pancakes in frying pans and must flip the pancake to the finish. The pancake winner is the first to the finish line with a superb pancake that is not burnt. It is also known for people to take time off work to participate in the pancake races.

When Is Pancake Day?
Pancake Day - 2015
February 17th​
What Is Shrove Tuesday?

In accordance with Christian tradition, Lent commemorates the 40 days that Jesus spent inside wilderness, Christians marked this event by means of fasting. Many people employed ingredients, such as offspring and milk, to prepare pancakes on Shrove Tuesday prior to the fasting period. Pancake races happen to be held in England for over 500 years.

Some sources claim that they may have were only available in 1445. One old English custom related to Pancake Day was your annual pancake grease on London’s Westminster where schoolboys might fight for pancakes to gain monetary awards. There was another tradition, it was said on mischief night, kids would dress up and go to peoples houses and ask for pancakes.

Dan12

Royal Knight the 4th
Oct 15, 2013
We usually do Pancake day as a bit of fun even though none of us really like them much, the fun of flipping makes the day haha

Reactions: gaz

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
we do it for fun as well, no religious influence to it, and our flipping always goes wrong lol :D

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
Yep flipping is the hard part lol always end on floor for myself.

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
our best effort when we used a plate, greased up similar size to pan.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
think last year it actually went quite well for us, think only one got stuck together, the rest were okay

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
I usually borrow a friends calor gas twin burner grill, and 15kg calor butane cylinder and make pancakes outside (if it's fine) or on the cooker in the house if weather is bad, but I never flip them outdoors in case they land on the ground and spoil lol! Once they're ready I sprinkle a little Candarel and drip em with lovely traditional bee honey and serve with some chopped fruit and ice-cream.

Also if I have any fireworks left over from the previous year (and provided it's dry of course), after clearing up, I use pancake day as a good excuse to set off and get rid ;)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
have to say ant, i love the sound of your pancakes!
Not so sure about cooking them outside, think they'd go cold very quickly

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
Forgot to post last week, we did have pancakes, and pyro as well as pancake day fell on my grandmother's birthday this year :)
They tasted pretty good, bit of sugar all over, folded up to make a 1cm thick square, lovely! But the flipping was a total fail as per usual, kept folding up :rolleyes:

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro