What do you think about shells

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!
Oct 16, 2013
Swansea
Hi guys I personally would love to shells in the UK again but would do you think? I know why they are banned but if we put safety measures in place like having to do a day course on use and disposal to get a licence and have a new category 3.5. In the USA they have the UK standard green fuses on the consumer ones so that not a issue. I would like to hear other people opinions :)

Oct 13, 2012
swansea
I often watch videos from the USA ,where they have the smaller reloadable shells and single ones , and thought why cant we have them here. But then I see that they are only allowed 500g cakes ,when we ,at the moment can have cakes with more than double that.
I think we should be grateful for what we have at the mo , and enjoy them safely.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
I agree Ahlad, shells are only deadly if misused or abused. If there was a provision made so that users and enthusiasts who train up on some form of training course and get licensed so they can legally obtain use and fire shells in private displays then that would be acceptable to me. ;)

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
But all fireworks are deadly is misused or abused. But yeah I agree. We should have a system set up so we can apply for a license to use shells.

Pompeypyro

Noble the 1st
Oct 18, 2012
To be honest, the sorts of shells safe for non-professionals to use wouldn't be much better/different than cakes/Roman candles already available and not worth the hassle. Better of with 1.3g rockets than shells such as this http://stealthfireworks.com/collections/rockets/products/demolition-3-shell-rocket

Oct 16, 2013
Swansea
Thanks for the reply guys just wanted some options I understand its not worth the hassle at the moment. I just would love to use them in the future.[/size]

jay

Noble the 2nd
Oct 11, 2012
to be honest we can already get the bursts of shells anyway but the lift charge is replaced with a rocket motor and a stick. the rocket motor gives it adequate and stable thrust safely so no impact resistant tubes are needed and the stick provides added stability on a ball head rocket and ballast so the flight is a lot safer where as if it was a shell you'd need the correct sized mortar tubes rather than just a piece of pvc pipe that roughly fits most rockets.
although, with shells, there is less danger with fallout as a big stick on a 3" rocket is far more dangerous in any accident than bit's of card.
i'm neither for or against to be honest i'd like the more perfect bursts but rockets are getting closer and closer anyway.

Pompeypyro

Noble the 1st
Oct 18, 2012
pyro mike said:
Never mind shells, bring back air bombs, whistling air bomb rockets, bangers, etc, like above posts, rockets are just as good as American consumer shells....
Agree on that Mike!

Oct 13, 2012
swansea
Really. Bought them when I was 15 /16 ,and lets be honest, what is the point of a banger? Air bombs too , just a shot tube with a loud bang .Whistling air bomb rockets suppose were better.

pyro mike

Peasant the 2nd
Oct 20, 2013
Ferryhill County Durham
cossi said:
Really. Bought them when I was 15 /16 ,and lets be honest, what is the point of a banger? Air bombs too , just a shot tube with a loud bang .Whistling air bomb rockets suppose were better.
Whistling air bomb rockets are great, but air bombs were super loud, just like air bomb candles if you remember those to, some had 6 shots, or some with 8, excellent noisey pyro....

Bangers on the other hand are just for fun...

Pompeypyro

Noble the 1st
Oct 18, 2012
pyro mike said:
cossi said:
Whistling air bomb rockets are great, but air bombs were super loud, just like air bomb candles if you remember those to, some had 6 shots, or some with 8, excellent noisey pyro....

Bangers on the other hand are just for fun...
At the end of the day it's all about the noise for me. Air bombs are the best for that, and other old spec fireworks.