Vauxhall Meriva

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Just wondering if anyone has had one of these before, we are looking to get a new car and we've been offered a very good deal on one of these.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
Having seen reviews, the current ones have pillarless outward opening doors, which makes them easy to get into. If you get the 5 seat version they're spacious alright but don't try squeezing 3 adults in the back, it's awfully tight, it's much better with two adults. The CDTI ECOflex stop-start versions have good economy and are nice to drive, one thing NOT to do is get the big alloy wheels, they dent the ride quality and spoil it terribly. They have a decent bootspace and the rear seats fold for good versatility and practicality. A good choice if you don't want a big 7-seat MPV.

Reactions: Somersetpyro

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
We did go to the showroom earlier, so got a good feel for the inside of the car. There's easily enough space in the back for 2 adults over 6ft, but i see what you mean with the fifth person, the middle seat is small. The doors were interesting, i believe they're called 'suicide' doors (no idea why) they are different but i quite liked them.

Obviously we'll be test-driving it before making a decision, and we're going to look at various other cars in the next 2 days including the Toyota Verso and the Ford C-Max, so we'll be able to compare them all.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
Toyota Verso 7 seater is a nice compact 7-seater but the third row is only really for kids with limited legroom, that aside, if you don't intend using all 7 seats, there is a useful boot to be utilized with third row folded and it's even better with all 5 seats folded. Ford C-Max can easy take 5 adults as it has 3 individual rear seats that move forward and backward to tailor bootspace and legroom to your desires plus folded flat to carry big loads, Ford Grand C-Max is bigger BUT again the third row is only really suitable for children (a lot of compact 7-seater MPV's suffer this trait;the third row tends to be kiddie seats really, adults on a long journey will find it painful back there). ;)

Last edited:

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
We don't need the 7 seats really, but the additional boot capacity that comes with them would be useful. We did look at the new Zafira at the Vauxhall dealers as well, we found that too large tbh, it was colossal! Reckon it'd be a pain driving round town.
The Meriva we can get for a superb price atm, so we could get that and a trailer, and still be paying much less than a car with a larger boot (eg Zafira)

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
My father just bought an Insignia estate with all the toys, pleasant drive and spacious.

I can't comment on models, but Vauxhall as a make are getting a lot better, being used by the Police in several counties now.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
The insignias do have a good reputation for comfort and tech... shame it's too small for our needs as we'd have loved one

We have brought a car now, we got a 3 year old Toyota Verso, it was the most spacious of all the MPV's we tried, had the biggest boot, and fo the amount of equipment we got it was the best value

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
Do you mean small for like the head height / leg room?

I think the boot on the Insignia is a lot bigger than the Meriva, but cold be wrong.

But have to agree, it's not the biggest for head height.

Congrats on finding a car, hope it's trouble free motoring.

One thing I can't stand is car shopping anymore :mad:

Reactions: Somersetpyro

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
It is quite small for height, i was more meaning the boot, we go camping quite often you see so we needed a big boot. The meriva's was too small as well though we decided.

Fingers crossed, sems fine atm :) I find car shopping is ok if you get a dealer that isn't too pushy, i know they are trying to sell you something but some of them just take the Peanut Butter and Jelly!