• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Use of outdoor hand-held sparklers at outdoor concerts

This sometimes happens where fans get out sparklers light up and wave them to the music of the artist on stage, just watching roxette listen to your heart on vintage TV and it shows a beautiful sparkling light of multiple sparklers with their sparkling gold light near the end of the video.

Would this phenomenon of people doing it at outdoor concerts still be allowed today with the h&s brigade watching in delight, or indeed, sheer horror, or has this been consigned to the health and safety bin in the premise of "no its most unsafe" ?

I can see the problems of people doing it, although they might think there's no harm in it : stepping on hot wires, sparks landing in people's eyes and faces (especially if breezy or windy), and possible burns to other fans not using sparklers.

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th
From what I know, you wouldn't even get them onto a festival site, let alone actually be able to use them. Same goes for flares, although people always seem to be able to sneak the odd one in lol

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 4th
I think its more of showing off, then it is getting through life, some people choose to ignore danger so they are seen as this cool person who has managed to get a flares/fireworks to a place where it is not allowed.

I have never been to a festival, but what they should do if it is not already done, is do a bag search like some local firework displays do, just before you enter. To ensure nothing like fireworks, flairs or anything else can get through.

I think its more of showing off, then it is getting through life, some people choose to ignore danger so they are seen as this cool person who has managed to get a flares/fireworks to a place where it is not allowed.

I have never been to a festival, but what they should do if it is not already done, is do a bag search like some local firework displays do, just before you enter. To ensure nothing like fireworks, flairs or anything else can get through.
Some music festivals and concerts do state in their itinerarys and programmes that the use of fireworks, sparklers, flares and sky lanterns on the campsites and in the festival performance zones and arenas is not allowed and that anyone caught using them will be kicked out of the event (which from a safety point of view is understandable) and will often use robust methods of enforcement to ensure compliance with the rules i.e. bag searches at entry and robust stewarding and security although you'll never completely stop it like they can't with drugs illicitly getting onto the site etc, you can have all the security and stewarding you like but some STILL get through......

Some silly dogooding pirrocks want safe drug taking areas at festivals, but in reality there is NO SAFE WAY to take any illicit substances so any approval of that idea will be kyboshed with a big fat NO.

Last edited:

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th
I’ve not been to a big festival, but even the local cider farms event has bag checks and security so you can be pretty certain that the big festivals will do the same. You get bag searches at bigger sports venues too, to stop people taking in flares and other things, same with concerts and things. O2 Academy Bristol even have airport style metal detectors, it’s the first time I’ve seen that outside of government owned buildings or airports. It’s a sign of the times I guess