Safety Distances On Fireworks

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
i have noticed that there have been a number of posts recently about people complaining about safety distances on fireworks being too OTT (eg, 25m on small fountains). If you decide to have the fireworks closer than said distances, that is your choice, but this is a reminder that if you ignore the given safety distances and something goes wrong, you will be liable for it as you were not observing the safety distance given. I'm sure we have all done this (I know we have), but just remember that they are there for a reason, and that's to keep us safe. Obviously, you can also use common sense, a tiny fountain wouldn't look great from 25m away, but if possible, always try to observe the safety distances :)

Fireworks are extremely enjoyable whatever size. If your garden is only 10m long, a pack of war hawks and a boneshaker is not the way to go, smaller items can be as enjoyable. So if your unsure, always err on the side of caution, and go for smaller items, or source a larger firing space :)

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
If something is weedily small ie the ridiculous 2" small fountains in GL Panther Box and the small fountains/small 18shot barrages and other ridiculously small Cat 3 items etc that you find in BS7114 selections then personally I would NOT go all out 25 metres for it at all. Same with smaller wheels/fountains and some single shot and multishot roman candles plus small Cat 3 25 metre rockets-also some brands and varieties of fireworks fool you to look bigger than they actually are (overdressing of the packaging;small tube/oversized box, 25metre spectator safety distance) but when you actually adhere to the said recommended safety distance on the label are absolute PANTS at such a distance.

Hopefully the new European Standard material coming in will see an end to all this silly nonsense-but in retrospect, Europe's rules take the OPPOSITE EXTREME, there is some EXTREMELY powerful stuff that is available under the 8m distance, and it's so powerful in fact, that you wouldn't want to use it at 8m away, so much so that Magnum Series have taken the sensible precaution of relabelling quite a few of their CE category 2 8m items that possess a fair bit of explosive oomph with a 15 metres spectator safety distance which is far more sensible. ;)

Reactions: gaz

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
anthony, as i said above :omgdead
Obviously, you can also use common sense, a tiny fountain wouldn't look great from 25m away
i agree with your GL panther comment, but don't forget that box also contains some huge fountains and mines in it (i know from experience). if you have the 25m distance required for some items, that means you can also have less where appropriate.

Reactions: gaz