Roadworks

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
As we're approaching the easter holidays and the warmer months, i thought it'd be a good idea to mention some long-term roadworks. The following are in the south/south west, as thats where i live and know about, and of course this area is popular for UK holidays. But if anyone knows of any major works elsewhere, please post them.

M3, Both ways between Fleet services and J2, M25
Motorway here is being made into a Smart Mororway, there is 50mph contraflow, average speed check, narrow lanes and no hard shoulder. Traffic is very busy around rush hour, and the works combined with any issues on the M25, means it can take up to 2 hours to move through the works area. This is not a normal journey time however, at less busy times you're looking at 1/2 hour tops. The best time to travel is around 8pm, or midday if later is not possible.
Works will run until December 2016

M5, Both ways between J23, Bridgwater North and J24, Bridgwater South
Upgrading the Central reservation i believe, there is 50mph contraflow, average speed check, narrow lanes and no hard shoulder. Traffic is usually alright, but is busy at rush hour. Be warned, if going northbound, the area is prone to very dense fog, in these conditions be aware of queuing traffic as you approach J24

M5, Exit slip road southbound at J27, Tiverton and A361
One lane is shot on the exit slip road. At busy times traffic backs up down the slip road and on to lanes 1 and 2, so be aware of traffic there. The matrix signs are usually on at these times, but its best not to rely on them.

M5, Both ways between J27, Tiverton and A361 and J29, Exeter Airport
One lane closed, narrow lanes, 50mph contraflow and average speed check because of upgrading of the central reservation. Busy at rush hour, and also at weekends because of the amount of traffic going into 2 lanes.

A38, Both ways at A380 interchange
Major junction improvements here, 50mph and contraflow. This is a busy junction, particularly southbound with traffic going down to Torbay or onto the A38. Is likely to be very busy at weekends and during the easter break.

A38, Both ways between the A380 and Bodmin
Numerous works, mainly junction improvements all the way down into Cornwall up to the A30. Mainly 50mph limit in the roadworks areas, and contraflow, however there is a 30 limit at one point. Likely to cause delays.

A30, Both ways between M5 and A391
Numerous different works all the way down, for over 70 miles into Cornwall. One lane closed in most of the areas, and 50mph contraflow. Expect lots of delays

Reactions: gaz

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
i know, ok some of them can't be avoided, like the top one on my list, they can't just clear out for 2 weeks, but most of the rest only started in the last month or so, why not start earlier or wait till after easter?

Reactions: gaz