Question about rockets vs shot tubes/mortars

This year's BFN, there was a huge amount of 1.3g rockets going up nearby. They were awesome, of course, but I witnessed an incident where a large rocket from another street flew a horseshoe over some rooftops and landed in my neighbours garden, causing some damage as it exploded. In contrast, every cake and shot tube I experienced operated perfectly. Each shell followed its intended trajectory (ie. up) without any wobbles or detours.

So I'm wondering, why are we allowed to buy such big rockets with questionable flight path accuracy whilst shot tubes are severely size-limited and mortars are completely banned? Surely the latter, with a more predictable trajectory, would be safer?

Mortars are powerful enough to blow a hole clean through someone's head, which is why (in short) they got banned, whereas a rocket will not do that, thus giving you time to run from it should it go wrong. That's the logic anyway, the same applies to cakes, a 50mm shot can do some serious damage which is why they're limited to 30mm

I can see that logic, thanks. Ironically I'm pretty sure that even a 10mm shot could do some life-threatening damage, but they seem to be used responsibly enough (for the most part, that is).

I'm still concerned about how unpredictable rockets can be though. I think I'd always opt for an upward shot of some type where possible instead - especially in dense urban areas.

Even a 30mm shot probably wouldn't kill you. Don't get me wrong it'll cause some big damage, certainly life-changing, but it'd be unlikely to kill. Cakes don't go so high as shells, so they don't have quite the same force. A 10mm cake would likely cause not much more than some rather nasty burns in the hit area, unless you were unlucky enough to get hit in the eye. Certainly best avoided though which is ofc why we always say secure properly :)

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
I can see that logic, thanks. Ironically I'm pretty sure that even a 10mm shot could do some life-threatening damage, but they seem to be used responsibly enough (for the most part, that is).

I'm still concerned about how unpredictable rockets can be though. I think I'd always opt for an upward shot of some type where possible instead - especially in dense urban areas.
and that is why they are never used in a professional shows because they are unpredictable. it should be noted, when using rockets you should have sufficient space on all sides just in case one stray.