Proposed Changes That I Suggest To The Current Ce Firework Regs

Hello. I have devised a specification to split Category 2 into two sub-categories 2a/2b and putting powerful items at a much safer 15 metres spectator safety distance. I have also emailed a copy of this to the British Fireworks Association. Here is my proposed changes : -

Suggestion for new firework safety subcategories

Cat 2a – this would compromise of roman candles / multishot roman candle cakes / and multishot roman candle barrages of less than 20mm bore size, small fountain start mines, small to medium sized 1.4g fountains, 1.4g class rockets of 20g or less, small wheels, small whistling missile cakes, and small to medium selection box fireworks which would be marked with a spectator safety distance of 8 metres.

Cat 2b – this would compromise of roman candles / multishot roman candle cakes / and multishot roman candle barrages of more than 20mm bore size (but less than 30mm bore size), medium to large whistling missile cakes and anything that is too powerful for a Cat 2a 8 metre spectator safety distance i.e. existing lines that were Cat 3 25 metres under the old BS 7114 specifications but modified to CE Cat 2 specifications with an 8 metre safety distance, plus new and existing powerful 8m products like large powerful cakes / large powerful barrages / powerful compound multishots / powerful fountains / powerful mines / powerful wheels and powerful roman candles which have been released under an 8 metre spectator distance, but in reality, are too hazardous to be viewed at 8 metres plus powerful selection box items which would be marked with a spectator safety distance of 15 metres and firer safety distance of 8 metres. Powerful 1.3G rockets which are Cat 2 rated will also fall to 15 metres spectator distance / 8 metres firer distance.

Category 3 1.3G rockets / Category 3 1.3G single ignition fireworks / Category 3 1.3G compound cakes / Category 3 1.3G fountain mines / and Category 3 1.3G and 1.4G sealed tube mines (that some manufacturers produce) plus very powerful Category 3 1.3G barrages of 30mm bore and above in Cat 3 rating would retain their Cat 3 25 metre classifications and 15 metres firer safety distances.

Hand held sparklers for outdoor use would be treated and labelled as OUTDOOR HAND HELD SPARKLERS (no category needed here), and throwdown snaps would be treated as FIREWORKS FOR OUTDOOR USE ONLY (these, if used indoors, would produce temporary unpleasant smoke / smells which would trigger domestic smoke alarms) while Cat 1 would mainly apply to indoor firework items i.e. indoor hand held and indoor non-hand held sparklers / novelty matches / ice fountains / snakes / smoke devices / flame devices / confetti and novelty party bombs / and party and confetti poppers.

PS Selection Boxes would be marked accordingly dependent on the type of fireworks they contain –

a) Selection boxes and mixed packs containing purely Cat 2a fireworks would be marked : Cat 2a SELECTION BOX Spectators must be at least 8 metres away.

b) Selection boxes and mixed packs containing purely Cat 2b fireworks would be marked : Cat 2b SELECTION BOX. Spectators must be at least 15 metres away.

(c) Selection boxes and mixed packs containing purely Cat 3 fireworks would be marked Cat 3 SELECTION BOX. Spectators must be at least 25 metres away.

d) Selection boxes and mixed packs containing both Cat 2a and Cat 2b fireworks would be marked Cat 2a / 2b SELECTION BOX. Spectators must be at least 25 metres away. (this gives increased safety distance and allowance for both types of fireworks maintaining a good safety margin for fallout and debris spread from both types of firework).

My ideas would make things much safer for consumers and the daft 1 metre safety distance on minute NEC weight small fountains would be completely abolished.