Phillip Hughes Dies After Being Hit By Cricket Ball

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
a story that has rocked the cricket, and sporting community today, many will have seen this on the main headlines. On Tuesday at the Sydney cricket ground, Australian international batsman Phillip Hughes was hit on the neck by a bouncer from Sean Abbott, knocking him out. he received mouth to mouth resuscitation at the scene, after which he was put into a coma and taken to St Vincent's hospital in Sydney, where he had emergency surgery to relieve pressure on his brain. Sadly, earlier today, Hughes passed away in Intensive care surrounded by family and friends, including australia captain Michael Clarke. He died aged 25, just a few days before his birthday. This was a freak accident, the likes of which have only been seen once in the 400 year history of cricket. My sincere thoughts go out to Hughes' family, friends, fellow players, and in particular Sean Abbott, who was one of Hughes' friends. one can only imagine the pain he is currently going through, along with the Hughes family.
A terribly unfortunate way to end a promising international career. RIP Phillip

PH.jpg

read more on this story here: Live cricket scores, commentary, match coverage | Cricket news, statistics | ESPN Cricinfo

Reactions: gaz

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
it is pretty devastating tbh, was a complete shock, Hughes is a guy i've watched play many times when he came down to somerset with Worcestershire and Hampshire, he was a class batsman and its a terrible loss.
Have to say though, I'd hate to be Sean Abbott right now, he must be devastated, even though he's only 22, tbh i wouldn't be surprised if he retired, i know i would in his situation. I hope he doesn't, he's a very promising bowler, but it must be awful for him :(

Reactions: gaz

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Hughes' funeral will be held in his home town of Macksville, Australia. It will be attended and watched by thousands of friends, family, fellow players and the general public. Once again my thoughts go out to his family and friends at this emotional time.

If you yourself would like to pay tribute to Hughes, use the hashtag #putyourbatsout on twitter, or take a picture of a cricket bat outside like the example below

if you don't have twitter, feel free to post any tributes here

here is a tribute video made by cricket australia, encompassing unseen footage of Hughes

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
This is a video of the accident shot just after Hughes was struck

WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS FOOTAGE OF THE FULL INCIDENT, INCLUDING THE FATAL STRIKE TO THE NECK.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
some good news as well, Sean Abbott, the bowler who bowled the fatal ball, has returned to playing professional cricket, and is performing well, including a six wicket haul and 8 wickets in a match, both career bests