No Weco In Lidl

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 4th
As it stands, Lidl has not picked up Weco Fireworks for 2018. This is the email I received this morning.

Maybe you could find our fireworks in some remaining stocks but in general, our brand will not be available in UK stores this year.

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th
Well this is as disappointing as it gets, that's all the quality gone from the supermarkets again. I hope they don't return to TNT, I think i'd rather have any brand other than them lol. The only good out of this is it will make my test more interesting...

Could be a case of the Brexit effect of Weco Feuerwerk pulling out of the UK, and they are a German (not British) company.

As we are now in the throes of leaving the EU in March 29th next year, the result is that Wecoshop on line has disappeared from the internet completely, and there is a possibility that the Weco Pyrotecknik GmBh UK depot in Purley Surrey, who distributes the fireworks to Lidl UK stores, is in the process of closing or it could have very well closed altogether already. Very sad times indeed. :( This could (even) also possibly have a knock on effect for other European firework brands (not sold in supermarkets) that are sold in the UK generally.

Last edited:

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 4th
Well this is as disappointing as it gets, that's all the quality gone from the supermarkets again. I hope they don't return to TNT, I think i'd rather have any brand other than them lol. The only good out of this is it will make my test more interesting...
It certainly will make the challenge better, we could actually see the true performance, among them all :)

Could be a case of the Brexit effect of Weco Feuerwerk pulling out of the UK, and they are a German (not British) company.

As we are now in the throes of leaving the EU in March 29th next year, the result is that Wecoshop on line has disappeared from the internet completely, and there is a possibility that the Weco Pyrotecknik GmBh UK depot in Purley Surrey who distributes the fireworks to Lidl UK stores is in the process of closing or it could have very well closed altogether already. Very sad times indeed. :( This could (even) also possibly have a knock on effect for other European firework brands (not sold in supermarkets) that are sold in the UK generally.
I did try looking for the online store without luck.

I'm sure Lidl UK will pick good quality fireworks for this year's November 5 / New Year's Eve celebrations, they took very good care to pick reasonable fireworks from TNT's range last time, and hopefully with any luck, they'll do it again, or pick a decent brand altogether.

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 4th
I'm sure Lidl UK will pick good quality fireworks for this year's November 5 / New Year's Eve celebrations, they took very good care to pick reasonable fireworks from TNT's range last time, and hopefully with any luck, they'll do it again, or pick a decent brand altogether.
if they play it safe maybe TNT, But hey anything is very possible and we could see likes or bright star or at a very big push brother. But, like i said anything is possible. :)

Bright Star Fireworks (UK) Limited have a contract to supply The Range superstores throughout England Wales and Scotland so negotiations would have to be set up and agreed between Lidl (UK) Limited and Bright Star Fireworks (UK) Limited for the supply and sale of their fireworks in Lidl's UK stores.

Skycrafter / Brothers could be a possibility but in all fairness, and in my initial thoughts, there is a distinct and good possibility they'll fall back on TNT Fireworks (UK) Limited for this years supply chain in Lidl (UK) Limited stores because of Weco's shock announcement on the back of Brexit withdrawal from the UK fireworks market. Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th
It'll almost certainly be a brand that they're already associated with. That means either TNT, or as a real throwback, Cosmic or cosmic sub-brands. Brothers looks very unlikely, as they don't have the right sort of products at the right sort of price points for supermarkets, certainly not selection boxes anyway

I think Lidl (UK) Limited will fall back on TNT Fireworks (UK) Limited, on the back of the withdrawal of Weco Pyrotecknik GmbH UK from the UK, following Brexit as this year's supplier being careful to pick out and source the best product that they possibly can from this brand.

The TNT product range prior to renegotiations with Weco Pyrotecknik GmBh was pretty good, and with careful choice, there can also be some good offerings.

Cosmic would be very nice too if they can get it too, but some of the products have horrendously high RRP's and might be a bit too much to get down to a reasonable level that Lidl's Weco pricing was. :)

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th
I think Lidl will have dropped Weco, rather than the other way round. If they saw a sales drop last year then they'll look to change up the range. Brexit will not have impacted anything yet as we're still an EU full member for this season. And there's no talk of brands like Klasek or Jorge being dropped from the UK.

As likely as TNT is, and as much as I dislike much of their range, the Lidl selection wasn't too bad last time out, some items were too expensive but others came in at a good price point. The other option is that they shock everyone and go for another german brand that we've not heard of, but as nice as that would be it seems very unlikely

I think Lidl will have dropped Weco, rather than the other way round. If they saw a sales drop last year then they'll look to change up the range. Brexit will not have impacted anything yet as we're still an EU full member for this season. And there's no talk of brands like Klasek or Jorge being dropped from the UK.

As likely as TNT is, and as much as I dislike much of their range, the Lidl selection wasn't too bad last time out, some items were too expensive but others came in at a good price point. The other option is that they shock everyone and go for another german brand that we've not heard of, but as nice as that would be it seems very unlikely
But if Weco has stopped the on line shop and pulled the website in the UK, and Lidl are giving up on Weco Pyrotecknik products, something has been stirring in the background but nobody knows what.

If Weco products are not going to appear in this year's pyrofare and Lidl UK are not getting them and haven't secured them for this year, then it DOES makes you wonder what is happening then.........

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th
But if Weco has stopped the on line shop and pulled the website in the UK, and Lidl are giving up on Weco Pyrotecknik products, something has been stirring in the background but nobody knows what.

If Weco products are not going to appear in this year's pyrofare and Lidl UK are not getting them and haven't secured them for this year, then it DOES makes you wonder what is happening then.........
The Online website probably was a commercial failure, I never saw any photos of product from the website. It could well be that that's killed off the UK arm of the company, if Lidl did pull out of the deal there certainly wouldn't be much point continuing.

I will second Somerset. Highly doubt Bexit has caused Weco to pull out.

It wasn't bad with the Weco store when they had the sale items (if you factor in p and p), but the sale items were gone towards the end of the Weco store and so it wasn't that great. Logically even for Weco, unless it's sale items, when factoring in P and P, it's certainly not for a lot of Joe public who wouldn't spend that much to be within certain P and P brackets. To quote, didn't we even have a few people here who are die hard pyro but they even were saying if other's fancied going halves?

Where was any Weco promo? A lot of £100+ spenders would already have their regular supplier and as I recall, Weco didn't exactly advertise their website at all on general public firework packaging to inform people about their website.

Anyway, a lot of their big sellers (discounted hugely) was previous supermarket stuff so probably was BS stock clearance before cutoff date.

I would put money on TNT being the LIDL range this year. Sadly I think it will revert back to 3 for £20 deals, which although are OK.... are just the same old.

Sorry to not just edit as time is up for it, but thats a point I thought of..... If Weco were doing that well, why suddenly pull their online shop with no closing page or anything? Surely if it had been doing well (and they were closing because of Brexit or other reasons), they would have at least notified customers via email and had a closing page saying the shop is shutting down. Not just vanish as they did.

As per delivery prices:

- Less than 150 £: Delivery charge 39 £

- 150 – 300 £: Delivery charge 19 £

- More than 300 £: Free Delivery

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 4th
So looking at an old post, https://seasonaltraditions.co.uk/threads/weco-fireworks-online-store.4301/page-4#post-31005 the domain redirects to http://www.weco.de/.

We don't know how well that shop was doing, if it was doing very well, then it is shocking they pulled like they did. But if this shop wasn't up to expectations, then possibly, Price or the person who managed it wasn't marketing like they were expecting. This is all speculation and could be down to something very simple why we are not seeing Weco this year. :) Possibly, they change business plan, maybe over Brexit, We will never know unless an official rep comes forth.

Lidl will just drop over anything, in all honesty, as we saw when they first choose TNT back in 2015. If you want to say anything, if they play it safe it will definitely be that brand again, or they could surprise everyone again and go for a good brand.

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th
I think it's very likely that they just didn't see the sales they were hoping for. It's a shame but I guess it was a bit inevitable. And as it's Lidl I think it'll almost 100% be TNT, it wasn't the worst last time but the selection boxes were very disappointing. Rockets and cakes were okay though and they did have a barrage pack too :)

I don't think Lidl will have dropped Weco, I think Weco could have told them that they are no longer supplying in the UK hence why stocks are limited but are not being sold through Lidl UK stores. I think Brexit has a lot to do with it :

Firstly, Weco Pyrotecknik GmBh is based in Eitorf Germany and as such is not a UK company,

Secondly Brexit will have affected them in some way because of the uncertainties regarding trade here of their firework products and whether they will be able to supply UK retailers in the future with their fireworks including Lidl (UK) Limited stores,

And thirdly, will prices of Weco Pyrotecknik GmbH imports here be prohibitively more expensive here in the UK due to EU tariffs applied to them after Brexit so making them more costlier than they really actually need to be?

If Lidl UK Limited have been told by Weco Pyrotecknik GmbH that their products will no longer be available in Lidl UK Limited stores, as it sounds like it in Gaz's first reply, then I doubt that Lidl UK will have made that decision........

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th
It just doesn’t fit with what other companies are doing though, Jorge, Klasek, Funke (a new company that’s going to be available in the UK this year), Leslie are all EU brands and are all going to continue to be available. And seeing as Weco were supplying such a big company in Lidl, it wouldn’t surprise me if Weco UK imported the product directly from China, thus removing the EU from the equation anyway

The bottom line is none of us will know why Lidl isn’t selling Weco, unless by some miracle one of them gives a difinitive answer, so I guess we’ve just got to hope that Lidl pull something half decent out of the bag :)

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 4th
I agree with Somer, let us see what Lidl bring this season. There could be many possible reasons why they dropped them. We can speculate until the cows come home, but unless a rep from Lidl or Weco come online we will never know.