New Standard Fireworks Outdoor Firework Selection Box Items Cat 1 1m?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
I have noticed that on some of the garden firework selection boxes from Standard Fireworks, odd fountains are classed Cat 1 with a distance of 1 metre away!!!! I have thought "is something wrong?"

Obviously you couldn't use these indoors, but whats the reasoning behind it? i'am intrigued. ;)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I know what you mean anthony, it is strange :confused:
My theory is that they have such a small NEC, they can be classed as Cat 1, but that is just a theory

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
I know what you mean anthony, it is strange :confused:
My theory is that they have such a small NEC, they can be classed as Cat 1, but that is just a theory
Really? I thought Cat 1 was mainly applicable to indoor fireworks which are purely designed to be used indoors ie ice fountains, indoor handheld and non handheld sparklers, novelty matches ie bang flame or sparkle emitted, partypoppers, coloured indoor volcanoes, novelty smoke/snake devices, party table bombs of confetti/streamers and novelties, and other similar indoor firework items designed purely for indoor use.

But verging on the ridiculous, I HAVE had, a pack of 17"sparklers from Galaxy Fireworks of Ireland which say Cat 1 indoor handheld sparklers!

17" IS in my view WAY TOO BIG to be safely used indoors, bits of falling burnt slag from the hot wire would probably burn holes in your carpet as well as set your smokealarms off with the smoke and fumes emitted.

Indoor fireworks cat 1 sparklers of the 4" and 7" variety in handheld and non handheld form (NO BIGGER) are THE ONLY ones you should EVER use indoors, as they are designed specifically for that purpose.

I dont know what Galaxy were thinking in deciding to release BIG sparklers for use indoors...but it's a daft idea all the same.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2012
swansea
As long as common sense is used when lighting fireworks ,that is what matters .
I cant see anybody standing 1 metre away from a firework ,because it says that on it. On the other hand ,does anybody stand 25 , 8 or 5 metres from a firework either. Does anybody measure out these distances before lighting their pyro? I have no idea what distance I am from the fireworks we light ,probably not far away enough.
Over the years I have found a cake that has fallen over ,due to not being secured ,main cause of potential danger. after that ,misfires and other peoples rockets. Also ,what I always dread ,the firework that doesn't light.
Remember ,if you havnt got space to light a big firework ,especially the 1.3g cakes and rockets ,don't buy . Stick to stuff you have room for and can light safely and enjoy.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Common sense is what matters, that is why you only get garden firework incidents with people who haven't treated them like what they are, which is an explosive.
Of course there always will be people who just make an unfortunate mistake, but i bet the majority of garden pyro incidents is just people being silly

Reactions: gaz