New Standard Fireworks Outdoor Firework Selection Box Items Cat 1 1m?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
I have noticed that on some of the garden firework selection boxes from Standard Fireworks, odd fountains are classed Cat 1 with a distance of 1 metre away!!!! I have thought "is something wrong?"

Obviously you couldn't use these indoors, but whats the reasoning behind it? i'am intrigued. ;)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
I know what you mean anthony, it is strange :confused:
My theory is that they have such a small NEC, they can be classed as Cat 1, but that is just a theory

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
I know what you mean anthony, it is strange :confused:
My theory is that they have such a small NEC, they can be classed as Cat 1, but that is just a theory
Really? I thought Cat 1 was mainly applicable to indoor fireworks which are purely designed to be used indoors ie ice fountains, indoor handheld and non handheld sparklers, novelty matches ie bang flame or sparkle emitted, partypoppers, coloured indoor volcanoes, novelty smoke/snake devices, party table bombs of confetti/streamers and novelties, and other similar indoor firework items designed purely for indoor use.

But verging on the ridiculous, I HAVE had, a pack of 17"sparklers from Galaxy Fireworks of Ireland which say Cat 1 indoor handheld sparklers!

17" IS in my view WAY TOO BIG to be safely used indoors, bits of falling burnt slag from the hot wire would probably burn holes in your carpet as well as set your smokealarms off with the smoke and fumes emitted.

Indoor fireworks cat 1 sparklers of the 4" and 7" variety in handheld and non handheld form (NO BIGGER) are THE ONLY ones you should EVER use indoors, as they are designed specifically for that purpose.

I dont know what Galaxy were thinking in deciding to release BIG sparklers for use indoors...but it's a daft idea all the same.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2012
swansea
As long as common sense is used when lighting fireworks ,that is what matters .
I cant see anybody standing 1 metre away from a firework ,because it says that on it. On the other hand ,does anybody stand 25 , 8 or 5 metres from a firework either. Does anybody measure out these distances before lighting their pyro? I have no idea what distance I am from the fireworks we light ,probably not far away enough.
Over the years I have found a cake that has fallen over ,due to not being secured ,main cause of potential danger. after that ,misfires and other peoples rockets. Also ,what I always dread ,the firework that doesn't light.
Remember ,if you havnt got space to light a big firework ,especially the 1.3g cakes and rockets ,don't buy . Stick to stuff you have room for and can light safely and enjoy.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
Common sense is what matters, that is why you only get garden firework incidents with people who haven't treated them like what they are, which is an explosive.
Of course there always will be people who just make an unfortunate mistake, but i bet the majority of garden pyro incidents is just people being silly

Reactions: gaz

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
If you come across Cat F1 or CE-F1 fountains in a selection box or pack of fireworks, then stand 8m away.

The 1m spectator safety distance is too risky, because even if the fountains might be tame, and if a fountain casing explodes scattering sparks and burning debris onto spectators standing 1 metre away (such as a manufacturing defect that slipped through unnoticed), there might be compo claims for personal injury even though the person lighting the firework(s) was religiously following the so-called "safe" recommendations on the label i.e ideally the manufacturer / importer / distributor would be at fault for specifying such unsafe spectator safety distances within label instructions on those firework(s), and this is the problems endemic with the current CE regs.

Last edited:

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
If you come across Cat F1 or CE-F1 fountains in a selection box or pack of fireworks, then stand 8m away.

The 1m spectator safety distance is too risky, because even if the fountains might be tame, and if a fountain casing explodes scattering sparks and burning debris onto spectators standing 1 metre away (such as a manufacturing defect that slipped through unnoticed), there might be compo claims for personal injury even though the person lighting the firework(s) was religiously following the so-called "safe" recommendations on the label i.e ideally the manufacturer / importer / distributor would be at fault for specifying such unsafe spectator safety distances within label instructions on those firework(s), and this is the problems endemic with the current CE regs.
Where have you seen cat 1 fountains that don't state the minimum recommended safety distance of 8m, though? Under CE regulations this 8m recommended distance should be printed on the firework, not 1m.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
Where have you seen cat 1 fountains that don't state the minimum recommended safety distance of 8m, though? Under CE regulations this 8m recommended distance should be printed on the firework, not 1m.
Er excuse me!

Outdoor fireworks, especially those in selection boxes, which fall under a certain NEC weight are, and can indeed, be classified as Cat 1 or CE-F1 with a distance of 1m!!!!!!!!

Standard are equally guilty in this in their smaller selection box fireworks as are TNT and Bright Star in their smaller selection box fireworks, so don't tell me it don't exist, because it does.......

Last edited:

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
Er excuse me!

Outdoor fireworks, especially those in selection boxes, which fall under a certain NEC weight are, and can indeed, be classified as Cat 1 or CE-F1 with a distance of 1m!!!!!!!!

Standard are equally guilty in this in their smaller selection box fireworks as are TNT and Bright Star in their smaller selection box fireworks, so don't tell me it don't exist, because it does.......
I never said it didn't exist, I asked where you have seen this as under CE regulations a cat 1 firework that is intended for outside use should be labelled with an 8m safety distance on the fireworks...

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
I never said it didn't exist, I asked where you have seen this as under CE regulations a cat 1 firework that is intended for outside use should be labelled with an 8m safety distance on the fireworks...
It was only a personal safety recommendation I came out with!!!!!....…....if an outdoor selection box firework under a certain NEC weight which is labelled Cat F1 or CE-F1 with a spectator safe distance of 1m, then to stand 1m metre away as some sheep will do, is risky, and let's say you 'religiously' followed this 1m distance along with your audience, and something inadvertantly nasty happened i.e a firework exploding in its casing showering sparks over you and your audience at 1m metre away, then WHO would be at fault? Who exactly?

Would it be you as firer? Would it be the manufacturer / importer or the distributor? Would it be the CE regulations for specifying such a ridiculous spectator safety distance?

I feel it is far better to overreact and push the boundaries for these fireworks than take the risk.....and I WILL be using 8m for the Cat F1 1m outdoor fireworks included in my Standard The Equaliser and Standard Visage selection boxes thank you...!

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
It was only a personal safety recommendation I came out with!!!!!....…....if an outdoor selection box firework under a certain NEC weight which is labelled Cat F1 or CE-F1 with a spectator safe distance of 1m, then to stand 1m metre away as some sheep will do, is risky, and let's say you 'religiously' followed this 1m distance along with your audience, and something inadvertantly nasty happened i.e a firework exploding in its casing showering sparks over you and your audience at 1m metre away, then WHO would be at fault? Who exactly?

Would it be you as firer? Would it be the manufacturer / importer or the distributor? Would it be the CE regulations for specifying such a ridiculous spectator safety distance?

I feel it is far better to overreact and push the boundaries for these fireworks than take the risk.....and I WILL be using 8m for the Cat F1 1m outdoor fireworks included in my Standard The Equaliser and Standard Visage selection boxes thank you...!
Again, I'm only asking where you have seen this 1m safety distance on a fountain?

For example a response could be @on the back of a standard fountain from a selection box I bought in Tesco.'

I'm not disagreeing with you or saying anything is wrong

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
Again, I'm only asking where you have seen this 1m safety distance on a fountain?

For example a response could be @on the back of a standard fountain from a selection box I bought in Tesco.'

I'm not disagreeing with you or saying anything is wrong
Ok you wanted it I'll describe what I have, then you can call me whatever you want afterwards -

Standard The Equaliser Selection

Space Fountain Cat F1 1m 5.0g NEC
Jewel Fountain Cat F1 1m 5.0g NEC
Diamond Fountain Cat F1 1m 5.0g NEC
Rutile Fountain Cat F1 1m 5 0g NEC
Reina Fountain Cat F1 1m 5.0g NEC
Delight Fountain Cat F1 1m 5.0g NEC

Standard Box Of Tricks Selection

2xOrbit Boom Fountains Cat F1 1m 5.0g NEC
Dazzler Fountain Cat F1 1m 5.0g NEC
Scarlett Ray Fountain Cat F1 1m 5.0g NEC
Green Flare Fountain Cat F11m 5.0g NEC
Luna Fountain Cat F1 1m 6 0g NEC
Sonar Fountain Cat F1 1m 6.0g NEC
Silver Rain Fountain Cat F1 1m 6.0g NEC

Standard Visage Selection

Defy Fountain Cat F1 1m 6.0g NEC
Coral Fountain Cat F1 1m 6.0g NEC

There. All the proof you need. Anything else while you are at it?!?!

Last edited:

SilberWirbel

Noble the 3rd
Oct 12, 2016
UK
It used to be that cat F1 was only really used for sparklers but under CE some small fountains (Typically below 10g NEC or so) could fall under this too.
Things like crackling balls, spinners and smoke pellets often have F1 ratings too.

Personally I stand at least 3m away from novelties like spinners, and 5m from the F1 fountains.

This is where CE regs are a bit poor, they rely on common sense some of the time and not everyone has any common sense!

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro