New Fireworks Legislation Comes Into Force 17th Aug 2015

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
It actually came into force on the 17th, so it's been live for 6 days now :p
I wish that the government would just Fudge nuggets! right off and stop bringing out all this restricting legislation, what use will keeping transaction records from 10 years ago be? Chances are those fireworks no longer exist because they've been brought and fired with no issues at all by a very happy customer!
As for improving safety, that's bullshit, fireworks go through stringent testing before even leaving china, let alone spot checks when they arrive here. How is knowing which factory they come from (which is known already) going to improve safety?

As for the notice changes, that's just pedantic but can't do any harm. Doesn't say anything about Category 4 though... ;)

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
I have amended the title. I agree Somer fireworks go through enough testing before they come here, but i believe its just another form of control.

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
This legislation is just a load of bull, most UK firework importers/distributors are responsible and ONLY sell safe consumer firework product to the retailers in 100% of cases. The people they should really be targetting are the criminal gangs and illegal white van man vendors who roll up every year throughout the UK in country laybys and carparks outdoor markets and carboots flogging banned or illegal products, such as
-Cat 4 professional display fireworks,
-and anything that cannot be legally be sold in the UK i.e foreign CE or international fireworks of certain weight/size/power which UK Govt legislation would forbid from the UK consumer market such as aeroplanes bangers spinners crackers and other prohibited items. ;)

The people selling those items are the ones whom SHOULD be targetted NOT legimate licensed UK shops and retailers selling fireworks, whether seasonally or all-year round. ;)

Reactions: Rich and gaz

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
I don't see it as an issue, a business needs to keep records for 6 years anyway for transactions etc, which should include the fireworks they purchased & sold. So no extra work should be involved, except holding onto them for an extra 4 years.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
I don't see it as an issue, a business needs to keep records for 6 years anyway for transactions etc, which should include the fireworks they purchased & sold. So no extra work should be involved, except holding onto them for an extra 4 years.
This legislation should NOT be necessary at all-it's just extra unnecessary burden/paperwork etc for the retailers.

Like I've said before the Govt and firework trade associations like the British Fireworks Association should be going after rogue traders and illegal vendors who roll up every year at car-boots/outdoor markets/car-parks and/or are trading from unmarked vans selling banned and/or illegal fireworks to the public i.e aerial shells, chinese cracker rolls/strips, powerful bangers, anything over certain sizes and weights which would be illegal to sell to retailers or the general public, and anything that WOULD be allowed to sold in Europe but are NOT allowed to be sold in the United Kingdom under our consumer fireworks safety legislation such as aeroplanes and spinners (these things are often sold in Germany under the Weco/Nic0-Moog/Comet Feuerwerk/Feistel etc brands). All this unnecessary extra bumf is totally unwarranted.

All fireworks for the UK market and sold here are tested to the appropriate safety standards at the factories in China before they come here anyway, and sometimes also at the importers/distributors outdoor test-sites as part of random sampling/batch-testing by HSE/Trading Standards/the importers and distributors and local councils in the United Kingdom for piece of mind and extra safety assurance-and as has already been said, why Zephieish, is knowing which firework factories the produced fireworks have come from, going to improve safety?!?! Explain. :)

Last edited:

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
not much of an issue just more office work for the retailer.