New Ce Fireworks

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

Essex Fireworks

Noble the 1st
Jun 22, 2013
We'll with the season getting near just wondered what you think about the new ce marked fireworks. What you looking forward to buying seeing and what you think about the 8m safety distance. Myself looking forward to the new royal party boost and kick off and a few other bits and bobs

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Currently fireworks sold in UK are marked with BS (British standard) and sold as cat 2 and cat 3 with spactator distances of 5m & 25m respectively. But coz we're in the EU we have to change to europes regulations. Sainsburys sold ce 8m fireworks last year and they were quite good. But ce standard is not as high as BS standard so in that respect the eu should change to comply with BS, as britain has the best firework safety record of all the eu countries.

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
Nice reply somerset, Thats because we are the nanny state of fireworks :D But saying that maybe the new reg would be a very nice welcome among fans, i have seen some jaw dropping items making it's way here. :)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Yeah some of the new stuff is great. But it would be greater if it was as safe as the BS stuff and was still fantastic

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I doubt it, i don't think the CE regs are much different to the BS ones in terms of what type of fireworks you can legally buy

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
Seems like an unnecessary task to me when you look at it all.

What is wrong with using British standard, as we are, you know.. in Britain? :rolleyes:

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Its one of the many down sides to being in the EU that we have to use all the EU laws, as a country we should choose our own laws and rules, not go along with other countries

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
Do you know what the changes are?

Are they reducing anything, like flash powder content, max explosive quantity etc?

It would be a terrible shame if we lost certain fireworks to this new CE mark.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
As far as i can tell all fireworks imported to Britain must now pass the EU CE tests to be sold here. This shouldn't effect what types of fireworks are sold here. This is what is on the Gloucestershire council websites under "Which types of fireworks are banned?"

Only fireworks that comply with European safety standards, carry the CE mark and are correctly labelled with details of the manufacturer and importer can legally be supplied to consumers.

Fireworks that were manufactured or imported before 4 July 2010 and that complied with British Standard BS 7114 can continue to be sold without the CE mark until 4 July 2017.

Boxes of fireworks must not be split and sold separately.

Any firework which exceeds 120 decibels must not be supplied to consumers.

Also banned are fireworks of the following description:

• an aerial wheel
  • a banger, flash banger or double banger
  • a jumping cracker
  • a jumping ground spinner
  • a spinner
  • a mini rocket
  • a shot tube previously known as an air bomb or shell-in-mortar
  • a battery containing bangers, flash bangers or double bangers
  • a combination (other than a wheel) which includes one or more bangers, flash bangers or double bangers

Reactions: zephieish

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
Fireworks that were manufactured or imported before 4 July 2010 and that complied with British Standard BS 7114 can continue to be sold without the CE mark until 4 July 2017.
Don't understand this bit, is it a typing error? What about fireworks imported after 2010?

I wonder what happens to all the unsold fireworks come 2017, be nice if there was a massive rush to sell off all the BS marked stuff before 2016 ends :)

Has the CE mark been around a while, in other countries?

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Don't understand this bit, is it a typing error? What about fireworks imported after 2010?
?
What it means is that if BS fireworks were already in this country before 2010, they can still be sold here without having to comply to the CE regs until 2017
And yes, the CE mark has been around for a few years now in the EU countries

Reactions: gaz

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
Spotted this on Benwells website:

All fireworks that you have in stock as at 4th July 2017 will have to be CE marked, it will be illegal for you to sell any that do not carry the CE mark after this date. Any stock that you have will have to be destroyed, at your cost.
We might be starting our stashes a little early in 2017 ;)

Reactions: Alexs21 and gaz