How Many Large Bombhead Display Rockets Actually Use Large 3" Aerial Shells In The Head?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
Just curious because some of the bombhead rockets with the fat plastic heads give you the impression that there's a shell in there and others feel so lightweight despite the large head there's nothing but air and just a measly bag of stars which ruins the surprise when it bursts and you're left floundered and disappointed at the thin lifeless performance of the starburst.

The better brands of bombhead rockets often do use a 3" aerial shell giving an excellent skyburst performance while much cheaper bombhead rockets often don't (often using a huge bag of stars) and it is hard to know what you are gonna get. If I imported large display firework rockets in mesh packs in the UK I would insist on ALL my large bombhead rockets containing a top quality chinese 3" aerial shell for excellent performance and value for money for the user giving them (and their audience) a truly spectacular night to remember and one that'll be talked about for days on end (and that's what a good private fireworks display SHOULD achieve, light up the sky and leave your audience spellbound with memories they'll cherish). ;)

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
You can check the NEC on a lot of labels now, so it's easy to find out which ones are just packaging and which ones perform well.

Mars Pyrotechnics

Peasant the 2nd
Jun 13, 2015
Mars HQ
Allot of the bigger rockets aren't even shells they are cylinders generally. But to break a cylinder that size you need around 8-10g of flash powder to get a decent break. Where as on our bigger rockets we use a 3" shells with 5g of flash and get a bigger break also CE regs state maximum flash burst charge can not exceed 5g of flash powder

Mars Pyrotechnics

Peasant the 2nd
Jun 13, 2015
Mars HQ
Ps looking at the NEQ is not going to make it that obvious as to what your actually getting. Firstly you need to know the weight of the motor and "chuffing medicine". If you know that then you can subtract that from the NEQ. That will then leave you with effect weight + burst charge. The burst charge will depend on what regs the rocket complies with but if it is CE then it cannot exceed 5g of flash. That will then leave you with effect weight but I don't see how this will help you decide on what rockets to go with. Also I have seen other brands not mentioning any names who will use a 3" ball shell on the outside but the actual stars and burst charge will be in a 2" shell within it. Cheeky or what?!?

Reactions: gaz

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
The Black Cat Whoppas fair few years ago and Black Cat Whoppa Deluxe used 3" cylindrical aerial shells contained in the bombhead to give fantastic results and they were spectacular, especially the willow versions. Some companies still use a 3" cylindrical shell these days in their bombhead style rockets for example Britannia Fireworks Big Nobby rocket. Rage/Absolute and some other companies too use proper round aerial shells on top of their ballhead rockets to give authentic shell like aerial bursts at the peak of their flight. ;)

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
Ps looking at the NEQ is not going to make it that obvious as to what your actually getting. Firstly you need to know the weight of the motor and "chuffing medicine". If you know that then you can subtract that from the NEQ. That will then leave you with effect weight + burst charge. The burst charge will depend on what regs the rocket complies with but if it is CE then it cannot exceed 5g of flash. That will then leave you with effect weight but I don't see how this will help you decide on what rockets to go with. Also I have seen other brands not mentioning any names who will use a 3" ball shell on the outside but the actual stars and burst charge will be in a 2" shell within it. Cheeky or what?!?
shocking how they get away with it :)

Mars Pyrotechnics

Peasant the 2nd
Jun 13, 2015
Mars HQ
I have put allot of time, energy, and investment as well as this coming Sunday being my 4th visit to China since December 2014. My ethos is our products may not be the cheapest but they will not lack in quality and they sure as hell will not be that meadicore crap other firms are putting out there. Watch this space I want at least 4 fireworks in the top 10 fireworks in the UK this season. I will be very upset if I don't see any in there at all. We are aiming at being market leaders and they only way to get there is to do things properly, with passion and lots of time and energy.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I have put allot of time, energy, and investment as well as this coming Sunday being my 4th visit to China since December 2014. My ethos is our products may not be the cheapest but they will not lack in quality and they sure as hell will not be that meadicore crap other firms are putting out there. Watch this space I want at least 4 fireworks in the top 10 fireworks in the UK this season. I will be very upset if I don't see any in there at all. We are aiming at being market leaders and they only way to get there is to do things properly, with passion and lots of time and energy.
And that is how it should be. Fireworks are expensive anyway, paying an extra few quid to get something better is what most people would do. Spending time to get the quality up to your, obviously, very high standards, benefits both us (the consumer), we get a higher quality product and a better display, and you as the importer, you build a reputation for being the best in the business. :)

Mars Pyrotechnics

Peasant the 2nd
Jun 13, 2015
Mars HQ
That's what I'm aiming for. I took charge of Mars in September and I have done everything in my power to make this years gear the best gear you will have ever seen from Mars. Im just hope everyone gets behind us so I can carry on bringing you the fireworks I want to make! I have lots more I want to do, but given time frames and the fact I went through 5 factories before I was happy with what I was seeing I could only do what I have done for this year.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
That's what I'm aiming for. I took charge of Mars in September and I have done everything in my power to make this years gear the best gear you will have ever seen from Mars. Im just hope everyone gets behind us so I can carry on bringing you the fireworks I want to make! I have lots more I want to do, but given time frames and the fact I went through 5 factories before I was happy with what I was seeing I could only do what I have done for this year.
And that is exactly how the whole industry should work, it's great to know that at least one company is doing that. If the quality stays high, you guys should be reaping the benefits over everyone else

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
Quality sells. Rubbish flops! ;) Good on you for getting the best you can. :)

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
Tbh, this is how every company should do it, some rockets are in excess of £20 each, to not have a shell burst in a rocket of that cost is just taking the Peanut Butter and Jelly!!
sadly they don't Somer, they think they can make a fortune by selling low quality rubbish.

Rightly so, specially with the amount of work going into the performance, effects ect. Im sure some of your range will if not be near top 10 :)

Reactions: Mars Pyrotechnics

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
Tbh, this is how every company should do it, some rockets are in excess of £20 each, to not have a shell burst in a rocket of that cost is just taking the Peanut Butter and Jelly!!
If I brought out a range of bombhead and ballhead rockets, each and every one would get according to size;

small ballhead rockets, a top quality 1.5" shell per head
medium ballhead rockets, a top quality 2.5" shell per head
large ballhead rockets, a top quality 3" shell per head
mammoth ballhead rockets, a top quality 4" shell per head

N.b small and medium ballhead rockets would come in mixed selection packs with assorted effects for maximum value for money and great choice/variety. Large ballhead rockets would come in pyromeshed packs of four assorted effects, and mammoth ballhead rockets would also come in pyromeshed packs of four assorted effects too.

bombhead rocket range XL and XXL-XL bombhead rocket, XL rockets would contain a top quality 3" cylindrical shell, and XXL rockets (based around the bigger longer mammoth bombhead which some brands use) would contain a top quality size 4" cylindrical shell.

The performance would be excellent on all of them because I would also take the time to source and get only the very best because like Mars I believe in quality value safety and performance and a night to remember! ;)

Mars Pyrotechnics

Peasant the 2nd
Jun 13, 2015
Mars HQ
If I brought out a range of bombhead and ballhead rockets, each and every one would get according to size;

small ballhead rockets, a top quality 1.5" shell per head
medium ballhead rockets, a top quality 2.5" shell per head
large ballhead rockets, a top quality 3" shell per head
mammoth ballhead rockets, a top quality 4" shell per head

N.b small and medium ballhead rockets would come in mixed selection packs with assorted effects for maximum value for money and great choice/variety. Large ballhead rockets would come in pyromeshed packs of four assorted effects, and mammoth ballhead rockets would also come in pyromeshed packs of four assorted effects too.

bombhead rocket range XL and XXL-XL bombhead rocket, XL rockets would contain a top quality 3" cylindrical shell, and XXL rockets (based around the bigger longer mammoth bombhead which some brands use) would contain a top quality size 4" cylindrical shell.

The performance would be excellent on all of them because I would also take the time to source and get only the very best because like Mars I believe in quality value safety and performance and a night to remember! ;)
You mean like these??
Eros Rocket Pack - MARS PYROTECHNICS LTD