How Did It Go?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

SteveLX

Peasant the 1st
Oct 17, 2014
Well, last night was the big event in Canterbury, combining our usual display with a house warming party meant around 70 people were there.

The running order was as follows-

Illusion triple pack (Sainsburys)
5 x Galileo rocket (Lidl)
Ultimate box pt1 (Lidl)
4 x Pot of Gold Fountains with 12 x Plasmic lights behind
5 x Galileo rocket
3 x Battlestar (Lidl)
4 x Space dust Catherine wheels plus Bright Star large Celebration Cracker
2 x Howling hell cats
6 x Galileo rockets
Ultimate box pt 2 (Lidl)
2 x Showstopper (Lidl)
5 x War Hawk rockets
4 x Electro Cone Fountain with 4 x Cube Mines (thanks Rich!) behind
1 x Cluster Buster
5 x War Hawk rockets

Finale
Powerstation 1
Mars Boneshaker (thanks Rich!) plus 2 x Claymore 100 plus 1 x King Rocket

In total there were around 2000 shots (the Hell Cats and Cluster Buster account for 995) and there wasn't a single mis-fire. Two Plasmic lights didn't go off but I discovered later that I'd missed the fuse on one and missed the second one altogether. Not really surprising as the wind changed and I was being rained on by the sparks from the Pots of Gold, not to mention those things are damned loud when they fire off so I was trying to light them from as far away as possible. LOL

Many people commented on the Cube Mines, thanks again to Rich for pointing those out to me and the Howling Hell Cats have become an annual favourite. The Finale was mad, I was in a pretty tight space in the corner of the Garden to allow 25m clearance but it meant being close to the lit Boneshaker in order to light the Claymores and then being sure to move the right way to get away from them all. Going the wrong way would have meant being trapped by a stream and hedge about 2m from them all, as it was I went the right way and got to enjoy it all from a bench instead!

Rockets were fired from PVC tube stuck in the ground, the tubes that came with the rockets themselves were pretty useless and broke before going in far enough. Next year I will try and get round to building some Rocket racks as the set up took way too long. Most of the others were staked to the ground using thin green garden sticks from B&Q, these are about 75cm long and cost about £2 for 25 of them. I have some decent cutters so could cut them to suitable lengths for each firework, smaller ones just had two or three around the edge, larger ones had more (the Boneshaker had 12). Once the stakes are in place I wrapped PVC electrical tape around the whole lot, of course it helps that I have a ton of tape from work! I was able to tape stakes to some of the smaller units on Friday which meant they just needed to be put in the ground on arrival which made life easier but does make them harder to transport. It also allowed me to angle some of the fountains rather than all of them going straight up. I've done this for the last few years and found it works very well indeed, if you hit a stone with a small stake it's much easier to move to a new position than it is with a large stake so I was able to put everything just where I wanted it. Firework bases were protected with Clingfilm as the grass was a bit wet and fuses were protected with tin foil, I learnt my lesson last year when a fountain lit a small barrage behind it.

Lighting was done with my trusty camping Gaz blowtorch which decided it wasn't always going to light first time due to issues with the ignitor but I just lit it and left it running throughout. I had a couple of Portfires and a cooks torch as back up if necessary but didn't need them (trying to save the Portfires for Wednesday).

Took about an hour to clear up afterwards but there was plenty of food left and a good bowl of slightly spicy leek and potato soup finished the day off very nicely.

Many people said it was the best we'd done so far, not sure how we can top it next year, probably best to start saving now....

Anyone else got a report from the weekend?

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
so we had our display yesterday, heres the running order:
Key
(M) Mine
(F) Fountain
(R) Rocket
(C) Roman Candle
(W) Wheel
(S) Shot Tube
(B) Barrage/Battery

Section 1;
Mini Powder Keg (M)
Dragon Breath (F)
Fruit Bat (R)
Nitro Mania (S)
Sun Flowers (F)
Colourful Dragon (C)
Fruit Bat (R)
Nitro Mania (S)
Magnolias (C)
Fruit Bat (R)
Joyous Mountain (F)
Nitro Mania (S)
Dragon Breath (F)
Fruit Bat (R)
Sounding Pearls (F)
Dancing Moons (C)
Fruit Bat (R)
Celebration (F)
Nitro Mania (C)
Total: 19

Section 2;
Chrysanthemum (F)
Orbit (W)
Nitro Mania (S)
Mini Powder Keg (M)
Sky Blast Yellow (R)
Pollinating Bees (F)
Sky Blast Purple (R)
Silver Dragon (C)
Nitro Mania (S)
Joyous Mountain (F)
Sky Blast Green (R)
Red Begonas (F)
Silver Dragon (C)
Sky Navigator Purple (R)
Green Leaves (F)
Winter Snow (F)
Sky Navigator Green (R)
Sky King (S)
Mine of Abundant Noise (M)

Section 3;
Sky Navigator Red (R)
Bumper Harvest in Vineyard (F)
Sky King (S)
Devils Wrath Yellow (M)
Sky Storm Yellow (R)
Mystic Mountain (F)
Twitter Glitter (B)
Diamond (F)
Sky Storm Orange (R)
Plasmic Lights B (S)
Orchid Blossom (F)
Sky Storm Green (R)
Devils Wrath Blue (M)
Opal (F)
Sky Storm Purple (R)
Crouching Tiger (B)
Lotus Blossom (F)
Plasmic Lights C (S)
Battlestar (B)

the two mini powder kegs were nice, decent bursts, good for a fiver.
The plasmic lights were great, nice noise, good large bursts.
The rockets were okay, not loud and small-ish bursts, but good for 1.4g rockets.
the panther box was superb, the fountains were all pretty, and the larger ones had really good, high effects, and were very long lasting. The 2 cakes were good, nice noise and crackle, particularly the crouching tiger, the candles were nice, and the silver dragon ones had a very pretty spinning effect and a small indigo burst. The mines were incredible for a box, the mine of abundant noise was great, nice colourful fountain then a large aerial burst, and wa so powerful it blew up the sand it was embedded in. the devils wrath mines can only be compared really to something like a diamond mine, they were fantastic, nice long fountain then a huge double burst.
the battlestar was awesomefor £8, fast, good bursts, nice noise and a good finale to it.
all items went off normal, there were no misfires and everyone enjoyed the display :)

Reactions: Vladster and gaz

Dan12

Royal Knight the 4th
Oct 15, 2013
Had my display tonight (4th November).
We had a fantastic hour of pyro, deffinitly our best yet.

Stand out of the night for me was the crackling stars mine by Royal Party. An absolute steal @ £10 sooo loud and effects were massive, could have easily been mistaken as something from a professional display.

Okay so we started off with 2x celebration crackers (from the RP boxes), I secured these both to a post and in the middle added a cathrine wheel. I alighned them up so that I could light all three fuses in one go. It looked fantastic as the crackers spread out and created a nice different opening to the display.

We then moved on to various fountains from the garden delights, RP boxes, which were all nice too. Then we lit the asda £7 fountain. I set it up so it was raised off the ground and sat on a plank along side the pumpkin fountain. The asda fountain was brilliant! effects were really big and nice loud crackles. Towards the end of this it somehow managed to light the pumpkin fountain which worked out rather well in the end. Pumpkin was as great as ever too :)

Next we had a few more of the wheels (1 out RP box and 1 Space Dust) unfortunately the RP one failed again and never lit, same as on my birthday.

After that we moved on to the bigger stuff. Lit the phoenix fountain next which was fantastic, long duration and the effects were massive.

Then onto the good stuff, the cakes! 4 little stars came next, all as great as usual, nice effects for tiny units. Then we went onto the brothers stuff, ninja, nice loud effects, ultimate battle of colours which has some really nice wistles and nice big bursts too.

Then came Absolute sunset, nice big bore, big bursts with nice effects. Then absolute angry ants which has a nice bright strobing effect and fires nice and quickly.

Then came the ones I had been waiting for, the Jorge stuff!

Kasjopeja- Wow these are soo loud! Nice big bursts but the noise from these is just amazing!!

Wenus- One of my favorites of the night, fantastic effect, little bit like the 25 carat but nicer effects. Finale was brilliant and filled the sky too.

Then there was the Magnum criss cross- A nice cake with brilliant crossette effects, not very loud though. Still a nice different effect though.

I decided to finish on Royal Partys Crackling stars mine. We moved to the front of the garden for this and the minute I saw the fountain start im glad we did. The fountain was tall and extremly filling crackling effects. Then after a short pause, loads of bright blue stars and then 10 shots all at once! One of the loudest fireworks ive ever heard. You could hear it echoing after it finished!!

So overall we had a fantastic night, what ive learnt is that in the future to go for more jorge and royal party stuff since its amazing!

Family managed to get a few vids so Il hopefully be able to get these up tomorrow. Possibly a few set up pics too ;)

I have managed to keep 3 little stars, the jorge thunder king and Odin(which I may keep for NYE) which il fire tomorrow night once home to give the neighbors some competition on noise ;)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
nice dan, sounds like you had a good evening of pyro :)
i look forward to possible vids/pics

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
so, we'll be having our mini display later on, won't be anywhere near as good as the above one, but pyro is pyro in my mind :p
its just a few bits from the various selection boxes we have, but we had to have some on the night :)

Reactions: gaz

SteveLX

Peasant the 1st
Oct 17, 2014
Just finished our small family display, only five of us to watch it (one of whom had to hide inside and watch from the hallway as she doesn't like loud noises)!
Had one of the small Lidl selection boxes, a few small rockets and a packet of Plasmic lights, great fun and far less pressure than last weekend.
Had a couple of failures from the Lidl box but for £7.99 it was still great value. I wanted to get another Battlestar to finish off but my wife has put a ban on me playing with any more pyro until next year. I've promised that's it for this year but of course 00.01 am on 1/1/15 counts as next year so maybe just a couple of months before I can start again...

Hope you had a good one Somer

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
thanks steve
the mini display went well, only one misfire, like steve it was from the meteor shower pack the fuse on a fantastic fountain came out :(
the catherine wheel we lit worked, as did monday's, so we were well pleased about that.

Bright Star:
As i said, the wheel worked, was nice, some nice colours and very long lasting, which was good.
the little winter fountain from the monster box was pretty, as was the green dragon. the 10 shot candle was ok, just coloured pearls, but was pretty.
Thanks to zep for recommending the photon burst shot tubes, it was fantastic for less than 60p per tube, decent noise and 2 decent size bursts

TNT:
The fantastic fountain that worked was nice, large effect for such a small fountain, the other fountains were also nice, particularly the carnival one
the fireball candle worked this time, was also ok for pearl shots. And the little 6 shotter was nice for its size, again decent noise and nice bursts.

We also used a few from the cosmic/benstar boxes, these were all pretty fountains, all had nice effect.

So overall, it was a good mini display, but overshadowed by some lucky Cheese and rice! on butter! over the back who had a boneshaker, was outside when it went off, holy Fudge Berries! its loud!

Dan12

Royal Knight the 4th
Oct 15, 2013
Glad everyones had a safe and good time :)

We had a few bits left. We fired the rest of the selection box items, a few little stars, the odin cake and then finished on thunder king!

WOW was thunder king loud! By far the loudest Ive ever ever heard, nothing has ever came close, the floor vibrated with each shot and lights came on along the street to see what was going on! Will deffinitly be having two of these along with something else as a nice LOUD finale next year!

We had a brilliant night, set off our fireworks, had a nice big bonfire in the garden then sat outside watching everyone elses. Quite a lot was going up round here, until around 10pm. It was clear some people had managed to get war hawks too which we enjoyed watching!
Appologies I havnt got round to posting a few vids etc, however these will be posted soon as i have the chance to upload them etc, been rather busy past few days.

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
Went fantastic last night, we decided to have the smaller display yesterday instead, with the larger stuff at the weekend.

Fired off quite a few Bright Star cakes, some mines and a fair few Epic rockets and some of their cakes.

The humming hornets was just brilliant, such a funny noise, I think my garden seems to echo the sound just right, had us all laughing :)

All jazzed up by Brothers was great too, lots of effects crammed into one cake with multiple bore sizes, quite unique.

The flying pigs and war hawks were just fantastic for the price, pigs are a lot louder than I thought and with no doubles of effects, that makes it superb value.

Mighty atom, Bombay nights, Battle of midway, and a couple of Benwell cakes, all went up perfect with no issues.

The Bright Star Nitro blasts were a nightmare though, one exploded and one failed to ignite the mine part.

Epic rockets all performed well as such, but a few were a bit erratic during flight and burst a bit low.

Reactions: Vladster

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
good everyone else had a good evening last night, we'll be having mini displays now for birthdays and christmas until march now, and of course NYE as well :)

jay

Noble the 2nd
Oct 11, 2012
absolutely awesome!!! lasted about 20 mins including the £5 astro blaster box that my cousin brought and everything fired perfect. especially the Hercules and 3 kings finale:D:D:D

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
Another brilliant night all in all, weather cleared up and was perfect, with the mild wind taking the smoke away :D

Everything except the Proton Bomb Extreme performed flawlessly, very happy with it all.

Best piece of the night, well it had to be King Hell, 107 1.3g shots going off in under 30 seconds, expensive but gotta be tried :)

Worst piece for me had to be Jewel of the nile, just not the same as it used to be, very watered down :(

The proton bomb extreme decided to break free from the stake and have a bit of fun of its own, the shots were stopped by the wall so audience were fine, but just goes to show no matter what you do, there is still a risk with these things lol

It wasn't all smiles though, we were sorting out our finale to go up around 9:30-9:45 and was planning to use a firing system, some bloke came banging on our door moaning about the noise (meanwhile 4 other houses were sending up war hawks and atom bombs lol) we politely told him it was 8:50 on a SATURDAY and suggested he removed himself from our property, which he didnt like.. it kinda got us all mad so we abandoned setting it all up and waiting and decided to fire off the following one after the other:

Quick Fire
Screaming Spiders
King Hell
2 War Hawks
2 Sky Thrillers

Was fantastic :)

SteveLX

Peasant the 1st
Oct 17, 2014
Sounds like a good night despite the neighbours. Glad it cleared up for you, the weather round here was pretty dreadful all night. I felt sorry for anyone letting them off last night in the rain!

Reactions: Somersetpyro

Vladster

Esquire the 5th
Oct 12, 2012
Edinburgh
Wednesday night was a great success, it was cold but the skies were clear and with a slight breeze, it was perfect conditions for letting off pyro. We only let off half of what we had planned but we'll use the rest of it at new year or keep it for next summer or even next BFN. I probably did go over the top this year with the amount of pyro i accumulated but it was worth it :p

All of the Epic gear we fired was superb as usual....we never let off any of the Screaming Spiders though so we used Heavy Duty as our finale which is an absolutely superb cake for just over 20 quid.

This is what we fired on the night

Cakes:

1x Mad Moth (25 Shot)
1x Sky Lab (25 Shot)
1x Humming Hornets (28 Shot)
1x Battlestar (21 Shot)
1x Dr Thrust (25 Shot)
1x Mission Control (24 Shot)
1x Magnum Force (24 Shot)
1x Spectrum Sky (24 Shot)
1x Action Zone (24 Shot)
1x King Cobra (25 Shot)
1x Dynamite (25 Shot)
1x Cyborg (16 Shot)
1x Alien (16 Shot)
1x Werewolf (16 Shot)
1x Solar (16 Shot)
1x Heavy Duty (64 Shot)

Rockets:

3x Air Hawks
5x Space Blaster
5x Heat Seeker
5x Thunder Blast

Roman Candles:

4x Nighthawk
4x Deep Space
4x Sky Burst

Fountains:

1x Sparkling Treasure
1x Clown
1x Pumpkin

Mines:

1x Sliver Glory
1x Star Dust
1x Blazing Stars

Fazer

Baronet the 2nd
Oct 13, 2012
Under Starry Skies
Had a very good night. Was on a tight budget this year but still picked up some decent stuff. Had a misfire from one of the Plasmic lights where it shot into the air but didn't explode and nearly got hit by one of the shots from one of the cakes. Apart from that everything went well. :D