1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed Right Now!

Discussion in 'Fireworks Chat And Discussion' started by pompski!, Jan 27, 2018.

1. pompski!

pompski!

Peasant

The government wants to hear from the public as to if fireworks need further regulations and this will be discussed in parliament on the 29th January, just a few days away!
    At the moment all the comments here are mainly against fireworks and could result in a ban or further restrictions on public use of fireworks. We need more pro-firework comments here, so please comment and share the hell out of it. If we don't want further restrictions, we ALL need to comment here ASAP!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=539366673129123&id=183432182055909&refid=52&__tn__=*s-R

Somersetpyro likes this.
  2. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th

Anyone with facebook please do comment, and anyone without facebook like myself, please contact your MP if you're able to, as I did, we can't just sit back otherwise the antis will win, we need to show that we care!

3. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th

Some of the comments are ludicrous, any genuine concerns are so far outweighed by people making up stats, facts and just nonsense that i'm surprised they're still bothering! The page definitely needs to be circulated more around pyro fans though, there's not many posting in favour, but i suspect that's cos most of us don't have facebook lol

Alexs21 likes this.
  4. jay

jay

Noble the 2nd

Had an email conversation with my MP to persuade him to attend the debate wirh some true facts and figures and commented on the House of commons post several times. The problem is that were being drowned out due to the majority sitting back, thinking it won't happen. SPEAK UP PEOPLE!!!

5. AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Wizard the 3rd

And what these idiots don't realise, is that, if you banned fireworks from retail and mail-order sale, then, what the hell do you do about : -

(a) The illegal black market sales and trade in unsafe potentially deadly and very dangerous untested unclassified and uncertified import fireworks taking over from retail shop sales and mail order sales that meet neither British or European safety standards for consumer fireworks sold in the U.K. and in Continental Europe?

Also what these do gooders refuse and conveniently fail to also realise is that these potentially lethal imports will have non English language instructions for use, could have fast burning quick match fusing and could be of dangerous and / or questionable quality and if they have extreme explosive content or are made of banned dangerous substances, then these dangerous imported fireworks could also kill maim disfigure or seriously injure the user on ignition of the fuse.

and (b) what do you do about the idiots who will try to make their own fireworks out of household chemicals and substances in the face of a such a ban in defiance and either, set fire to the house, destroy the house in a serious explosion, or hurt themselves or others should they go wrong or malfunction after being lit?

I think the Govt will ignore these do gooders and go with the sensible majority than spoil it for millions of people who don't go off the rails and misuse fireworks, however I agree, that the enforcement of current fireworks law and legislation isn't quite good enough when it comes to punishing children and teenagers whom illegally get hold of fireworks and misuse them for anti-social behaviour and nuisance purposes, and that this side of the equation could and should go further and be better enforced with fines and prison for anyone giving or selling fireworks to children.

6. FireworksDude86

FireworksDude86

Noble the 3rd

It's never any different. People who don't like something will latch on to anything and make up their own stories to try and cause a stir.

Picture of dog with face blown off via IED = Picture re-uploaded, caption said it was kids who did it messing with fireworks. People lying about bangers being put through their letterbox. The list goes on and on.

The problem with defending fireworks on facebook is some people who just hate fireworks will then resort to tantrum measures by sending abuse via inbox messages.

7. AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Wizard the 3rd

I am on Facebook and I've never had abusive messages just because I've defended fireworks, if anyone gives me grief I block them IT WORKS!!!

8. FireworksDude86

FireworksDude86

Noble the 3rd

It can vary. I have done some before defending fireworks and had the usual f off and stuff like that comments, then inbox filled with tripe. All blocked and I don't care but others might be a bit weary.

I notice this year after reading that parliamentary debate, the start was all about the little girl who had a firework shot fired into her scarf which burned her. Blame is with fireworks of course.

While it is very sad that a child got injured, there is absolutely no way fireworks are directly to blame (it's a bit like using a knife the wrong way round then blaming the knife when getting injured).

The facts are that from video footage it's clearly only a 5 shot flare style candle. IF the firework malfunctioned and blew out the side of the tube, had safety distances been implemented, then the card tube would have further limited the power of the shot and no way would it have reached the audience. You can see on the video for starters, that no way was that 5 meters away from the audience.

It's highly likely though that it was not secured properly in the ground (as instructed on the packaging), tilted over towards the end of the shots and fired directly at the child.

That responsibility was with the parents who, sadly did not fully read the instructions and due to this their child got hurt.

Nevertheless it's still sad to hear about but the parents would know before buying that lit fireworks eject hot sparks. They didn't read the instructions and inadvertently the mother caused serious harm to her child. In typical fashion though, rather than take blame for harming her child, it's pushed onto something else. Then all the news reporter's who know zilch about fireworks have latched onto that with the big "fireworks and dangerous" news stories. Some news broadcasters even claim the firework "exploded" on her scarf, others say it was a "rocket".

I burnt my hand on a rocket once. I ignored instructions and used a gas lighter to light it. Then when the visco fuse lit, spraying showers of sparks and my hand was burnt, the firework was to blame for a few blisters on my hand. No, that was my fault for being a total idiot, discarding of the portfire after a display and then deciding on lighting 1 more rocket with a lighter.

AnthonyUKpyro likes this.
  9. AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Wizard the 3rd

I saw that clip last year on BBC Breakfast and tbh I don't think that roman-candle was secured properly because they don't just tip over for nothing and shoot at people, only a poorly secured roman-candle would fall over and do that.

I always use a bucket of earth for tall fireworks and make sure before lighting that the firework is firmly buried and secured, that woman must have made a mistake. :)

10. FireworksDude86

FireworksDude86

Noble the 3rd

Exactly Ant. Just a shame how it's used as ammo against us all, just because a mother blames a perfect safe and legal form of entertainment.

The only thing the gov should do is have more awesome firework awareness videos around BFN.....

Back then, there was less of the blame tactics.

gaz and AnthonyUKpyro like this.
  11. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th

The government absolutely should bring back videos like that, it’s a very simple way to reach a mass audience, and as with anything education is much better than a ban

12. FireworksDude86

FireworksDude86

Noble the 3rd

I think that's a big step we need really. I remember that Hale and pace advert being on every set of adverts around BFN. I recall mum remembering adverts like that on TV (earlier in the day or week) which prompted her and family to properly read instructions and have a safe evening.

Now, it can be where someone buy's from the supermarket and thinks 'there's nothing to them, supermarkets are selling them', with tiny regard to instructions.

I haven't even seen a fireworks code advert about for a good few years at least. Some MP's are all about criticising fireworks, but the government should step up with adverts around BFN (firework code, catchy, memorable adverts and even stuff about keeping animals safe).

AnthonyUKpyro and Somersetpyro like this.
  13. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th

Ideally, I'd want to see TV firework safety adverts and compulsory approved safe use leaflets given out with every purchase, from any sort of store. I'm sure like everyone, i'm all for steps that can improve safety of a product and it's a cheap and simple way to reach millions of people who buy fireworks each year :)

gaz and AnthonyUKpyro like this.
  14. gaz Administrator

gaz

Sovereign the 3rd

and this post made me do a post on this week's blog. Out this Thursday, at 10:00 am.

I agree with it totally, their needs to be more aware of these things, The generation today has no clue IMO. Either they see fireworks as a nogo or they mess around with them and cause damage.

Somersetpyro and AnthonyUKpyro like this.
  15. Maddog

Maddog

Esquire the 2nd

I think this advert hits home that how dangerous they are but it kinda gives the wrong impression with him holding him

They deffo need to bring these back

Somersetpyro, gaz and AnthonyUKpyro like this.