1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitars

Discussion in 'Seasonal Tavern - Off Topic' started by Alexs21, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 6th

Apologies for the bump, but it fits in nicely here. After seeing a good selection of live music recently, my love for playing it has been rekindled, many years ago when i was still in primary school I learned piano but found it a bit boring when after 6 years I still was only being taught to play classical music lol. So i'm considering starting over again with electric guitar, so i was wondering @Alexs21 or anyone else if you had any advice? Obviously I need a guitar and amp, which will be purchased in due course once i have some money. I can read music fine but apart from that i'd be a complete novice :)

Alexs21 likes this.
  2. Alexs21

Alexs21

Wizard the 3rd

Hello Somer :) great to hear you're going to start playing guitar. knowing how to read music will definitely help you when learning theory. for guitar and amp, what do you think your budget will roughly be? and i'll give you advice on what to get. good luck with it :)

Somersetpyro likes this.
  3. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 6th

Cheers mate :) I'm thinking around £200-220 all in max, for starters anyway, I did find this kit, seems reasonable for the money to me?
    https://www.dawsons.co.uk/epiphone-les-paul-special-ii-player-pack-vintage-sunburst

4. Alexs21

Alexs21

Wizard the 3rd

yeah, I started off with a squire guitar pack like that with the amp and everything, however with those the amp isn't usually that good. you should maybe look on gumtree and ebay for used stuff, you can get a lot more for your money when shopping used.

Somersetpyro likes this.
  5. Alexs21

Alexs21

Wizard the 3rd

Also another thing when buying a guitar and amp you should really spend more money on the amp then guitar :)

6. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 6th

Cheers @Alexs21, i'll have a look at what's about on the used market :) and that's interesting, i'd have thought the opposite but i know very little lol

7. Alexs21

Alexs21

Wizard the 3rd

aha, yeah a lot of people go all out on the guitar and get a crappy amp. I'd go on gumtree at that price range. you could still get an ok setup new at around £200 but your better off going on gumtree. If you let me know roughly whereabouts you are i'll have a look for you.

Somersetpyro likes this.
  8. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 6th

Somerset mate ;) I wouldn't mind travelling a bit, the Taunton area is preferable but anywhere between Exeter and Weston-super-mare would be fine. Cheers mate, really appreciate the help :)

Alexs21 likes this.
  9. Alexs21

Alexs21

Wizard the 3rd

ahaha, of course :D:rolleyes: but yeah I'll have a look for you :)

Somersetpyro likes this.
  10. Alexs21

Alexs21

Wizard the 3rd

Also what type of music will you be playing?

11. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 6th

Rock hopefully, if I ever manage to get decent lol

12. Alexs21

Alexs21

Wizard the 3rd

aha, just stick to it and you'll get it eventually :)

Somersetpyro likes this.