Good idea to wear PPE if doing large displays of cat2/cat3

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
It's a good idea while doing large displays of both cat2 garden fireworks and cat3 display fireworks private and public to wear some form of suitable ppe;

A good set of fire retardant overalls in your size is a must, it protects your clothes from melting and burning caused by flying sparks,

and a hardhat with built in visor and eardefenders is also a good idea to protect your eyes and ears and head from flash/sound/explosion/malfunction and from falling debris/sparks and/or hot glowing or smouldering material from cakes/barrages etc.

PS If you don't have a hardhat with eardefenders and visor then a hardhat and a pair of safety goggles and earplugs are a second best form of suitable personal protection while firing.;) You might look a geek and get questions asked, but you also look more professional and more safe too! ;)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
AnthonyUKpyro said:
It's a good idea while doing large displays of both cat2 garden fireworks and cat3 display fireworks private and public to wear some form of suitable ppe;

A good set of fire retardant overalls in your size is a must, it protects your clothes from melting and burning caused by flying sparks,

and a hardhat with built in visor and eardefenders is also a good idea to protect your eyes and ears and head from flash/sound/explosion/malfunction and from falling debris/sparks and/or hot glowing or smouldering material from cakes/barrages etc.

PS If you don't have a hardhat with eardefenders and visor then a hardhat and a pair of safety goggles and earplugs are a second best form of suitable personal protection while firing.;) You might look a geek and get questions asked, but you also look more professional and more safe too! ;)
TBH i've had ice fountains bigger than cat2 fireworks and louder than cat2 fireworks. Also what is classed as a 'big' display? if its 100 or more then we have had this many and atleast 50% cat 3 and im quite sure none viewing, lighting, or just people on the street walking their dogs were injured or killed by debris/sparks/minor explosions!lol

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
Somersetpyro said:
AnthonyUKpyro said:

TBH i've had ice fountains bigger than cat2 fireworks and louder than cat2 fireworks. Also what is classed as a 'big' display? if its 100 or more then we have had this many and atleast 50% cat 3 and im quite sure none viewing, lighting, or just people on the street walking their dogs were injured or killed by debris/sparks/minor explosions!lol
You don't half talk some tripe Somersetpyro;people putting on private and public cat2/3 displays ought to wear some form of suitable ppe, they are closer to the action than the spectators and are at most risk being close up!!!!! I didn't mention bystanders pets etc you stupid person! I know better than you because at a Galactic Fireworks Forum meet early september I got the job of multiple firing several Cat2/3 rockets and a few big Cat3 rockets exploded at ground level than taking off!!! I was fully protected with fire retardant overalls and a hardhat with built in ear defenders/visor and didn't suffer any ill effects from these incidents. Just goes to show that doing a display without ppe is very foolish should something untowards happen. Duh! :)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
AnthonyUKpyro said:
Somersetpyro said:
AnthonyUKpyro said:

You don't half talk some tripe Somersetpyro;people putting on private and public cat2/3 displays ought to wear some form of suitable ppe, they are closer to the action than the spectators and are at most risk being close up!!!!! I didn't mention bystanders pets etc you stupid person! I know better than you because at a Galactic Fireworks Forum meet early september I got the job of multiple firing several Cat2/3 rockets and a few big Cat3 rockets exploded at ground level than taking off!!! I was fully protected with fire retardant overalls and a hardhat with built in ear defenders/visor and didn't suffer any ill effects from these incidents. Just goes to show that doing a display without ppe is very foolish should something untowards happen. Duh! :)
No need to be rude, besides, it is an opinion. Yours is that PPE is crucial for Cat 2/3 displays, mine is that, unless you have large 1.3g fireworks/large cakes, you do not need PPE for cat2/3. TBH, our garden is not big enough for large fireworks anyway, but if we could have them, we would probably wear at least safety specs. But as the only fireworks we can light are the stuff you get from Lidl, ASDA etc. for these full protection, in my opinion, is not necessary.

Reactions: berry1
Oct 13, 2014
glasgow
if you are standing in the site and not retreat out of it (to at least the minimum safety distance) then i would and now do wear gloves and goggles. because a rocket stick, stray bit of fuse or anything else hot to the eye is something i would like to avoid.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
It's best to go the full monty with full ppe (not JUST goggles and gloves as steeli does) on a site where all your pyro is set out-anything could go wrong while you are firing, a cake blasting it's sides out, a fountain collapsing in it's case and ejecting sparks all over the place, a roman candle slightly pushing itself sideways in the ground i.e launch thump movement causing effects to fire slanted or sideways even, and as you are closer to the fireworks going off, anything could hit you in the face land on your head or affect your hearing, let's say a bombette from a 1.3g multishot firework with a faulty lift charge rose two or three feet above the ground and fell to the ground exploding by your feet, the flash burst would make your ears ring. Also the fire retardant overalls protect your clothes from melting, catching fire and burning which is always likely with falling sparks/hot glowing or burning debris etc. ;)

berry1

Wizard the 2nd
Oct 7, 2012
If your firing large displays as in standing a few feet away from large cakes and rockets when they are in action then sure PPE is a must. Anyone that uses PPE to light there selection boxes or tnt shot tubes from aldi is just ridiculous.

Even with large displays and pro pyro I still wouldn't wear ear defenders we want to actually enjoy the display we are firing don't we? got to take a little risk to get the fun of firing your own displays :D

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
If your firing large displays as in standing a few feet away from large cakes and rockets when they are in action then sure PPE is a must. Anyone that uses PPE to light there selection boxes or tnt shot tubes from aldi is just ridiculous.

Even with large displays and pro pyro I still wouldn't wear ear defenders we want to actually enjoy the display we are firing don't we? got to take a little risk to get the fun of firing your own displays :D
i agree with everything you said berry, only idiots would use ppe for tesco pyro. And yes, why would you want ear defenders for something like the boneshaker, the whole point of that is that its Snickerdoodle! loud! ;):D

berry1

Wizard the 2nd
Oct 7, 2012
i agree with everything you said berry, only idiots would use ppe for tesco pyro. And yes, why would you want ear defenders for something like the boneshaker, the whole point of that is that its blood y loud ;):D
Totally mate I just love the sound probably as much as the visual effects :D I know plenty of pro guys who love firing shells just because of the thump they make when leaving the tube when your right next to them.

We all take a risk that's part of the fun in it :)

General common sense can reduce dangers when firing ive had a few rockets getting stuck in the tube large 1.3g ones and just jumping to the ground has saved me from any long term injuries can be hard on the ears though lol.

Reactions: Somersetpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
I always wear full ppe at Galactic Fireworks firing nights when I help out-there always the chance that something could go wrong, and when I fired at 2013's galactic fireworks midlands meet, I was firing lots of cat3 1.3g rockets in racks as I got given rocket duty. I found the fire retardant overalls and lumberjack helmet with eardefenders/visor extremely invaluable, because there was quite a few that exploded frighteningly at groundlevel leaving the stick in the rocket racks and blasting the cases to pieces ie rocket failure where rockets fail to take off into the sky and explode in the rack blasting the casing to smithereens and scattering the effect at groundlevel. If I hadn't had the full ppe on in those instances;the flashburst of those rockets wouldve made my ears ring and possibly burn my face, debris would have burned my head/scalp and set fire to my hair and the burning stars would have melted my clothes and I could have lost my sight had a spark or effect hit me in the eyes.

Where everything is set out and you are using lots of large sized cat3 25m display fireworks (and indeed any of the new large Cat2 CE european standard garden fireworks because these can be equally powerful and my god they ARE;I know from experience) set out ie fountains mines roman candles cakes barrages rockets wheels and celebration crackers etc then it makes TOTAL sense to kit up and protect yourself against the unexpected because anything can go wrong at any moment. For selection boxes and small stuff it is prudent to, at the very least, wear firework safety glasses from Bright Star with a set of gloves for lighting. ;)

Last edited:

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
lots of 1.3g big stuff it different, then its common sense to wear ppe, atleast goggles and gloves. but thats only if you are lighting lots of it, and by lots i mean 30 odd rockets, or staying next to the fireworks as they go off, which in itself isn't particularly smart really (though i'm sure we all do it ;))
But for garden stuff, its just ott to wear ppe just for the odd box/asda stuff :)

berry1

Wizard the 2nd
Oct 7, 2012
See ant the thing is that when your at a meet like Galactic ones and firing large pyro you have no option in wearing PPE - the full deal including ear defenders as if you don't and you get injured guess who is in the Fudge Berries!? Galactic as its on their insurance.

We are all adults - atleast I hope lol so we can all assess the risk before firing a display and decide what we want to take a risk on e.g no ear defenders or not wearing overalls and goggles when retreating to safety distances with selection boxes.

That's why I don't say we all must wear PPE and similar if your not insured and have a fair bit of experience like most of the guys here then you can decide for yourself on what you think is needed to wear and if anything is needed. Just to look at it from another view if we go round saying that you need overall and full helm when firing all pyro including stuff from supermarkets what really is the chance of people spending £50 or more on PPE? a piece of 3m g500 headgear is £45! that's more than a lot of peoples budget :)

For me I never wear ear defenders that's just how I do stuff your ears are damn stronger than you think if the EU guys can throw 3 inch salute shells on the ground not more than a few meters away I don't see a big risk with the blast of say a rocket detonating at ground level short term yes but rarely lasting damage.

Some of the EU countries have awesome pyro laws :D

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
See ant the thing is that when your at a meet like Galactic ones and firing large pyro you have no option in wearing PPE - the full deal including ear defenders as if you don't and you get injured guess who is in the Fudge Berries!? Galactic as its on their insurance.

We are all adults - atleast I hope lol so we can all assess the risk before firing a display and decide what we want to take a risk on e.g no ear defenders or not wearing overalls and goggles when retreating to safety distances with selection boxes.

That's why I don't say we all must wear PPE and similar if your not insured and have a fair bit of experience like most of the guys here then you can decide for yourself on what you think is needed to wear and if anything is needed. Just to look at it from another view if we go round saying that you need overall and full helm when firing all pyro including stuff from supermarkets what really is the chance of people spending £50 or more on PPE? a piece of 3m g500 headgear is £45! that's more than a lot of peoples budget :)

For me I never wear ear defenders that's just how I do stuff your ears are damn stronger than you think if the EU guys can throw 3 inch salute shells on the ground not more than a few meters away I don't see a big risk with the blast of say a rocket detonating at ground level short term yes but rarely lasting damage.

Some of the EU countries have awesome pyro laws :D

You CAN get fire retardant overalls for £50 from Screwfix/Machinemart over the counter, a clear visor helmet with built in ear defenders from Screwfix is only £25 and a forestry helmet with mesh visor and ear defenders is same price.

It is up to individual choice at Galactic firing nights on open spaces whether you wear PPE or not, it is also up to individual choice at an event that Galactic Fireworks is attending but NOT organising or holding whether you wear PPE or not-I just chose to wear it because I feel safer doing it that way, so do Galactic's own people too.

At midlands meet on Stoke Golding Airfield;we as members made our OWN decision to wear full PPE (and it wasn't a Galactic decision there), it was just good common sense to do so because there was an awful lot of Cat3 to fire that we members lit, also by members making that choice individually to wear it, we merely set a good example to the venue we were at, that we LIKE to be safe when having a blast, that's not a case of being silly, that's just showing we have a PROFESSIONAL attitude to these things.

At compmeets obviously you have NO choice because it's on a public venue and it's a condition of Galactic's own insurance that we MUST (I have no problem with this now and I understand entirely why it's in place). I don't generally wear full PPE when setting off selection boxes with items one-at-a-time on their own;but I DO wear safety glasses and rigger gloves. However if I am doing a lot of Cat 2 and Cat 3 myself and setting off multiples at once (as I do) then I DO tend to kit up fully FOR MY OWN SAFETY. ;)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
right, lets stop this argument, anthony you keep referring to the stupid galactic thing, we are NOT talking about that sort of situation, we are talking about a general, normal sized display with a few big stuff, not some massive pyro party. berry is right about ear defenders, you want to enjoy the noise of the pyro you've spent all the money on.
This should (hopefully) be the end of this argument
We have different opinions, lets stop criticizing each others opinions

PyroBoris

Peasant the 2nd
Oct 8, 2012
What?! "lets stop criticizing each others opinions" ...but...that's what forums are about surely? :)

We haven't even invoked Godwin's Law yet, only then will the discussion truly be over

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
What?! "lets stop criticizing each others opinions" ...but...that's what forums are about surely? :)

We haven't even invoked Godwin's Law yet, only then will the discussion truly be over
what you on? o_O
The forum isn't about criticising each other at all, quite the opposite, criticising just makes people cross, and that gets us nowhere.

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
very true Somer, I'm trying to turn this forum into something very helpful, you get no were criticising each other.

I am going to go ahead and close this thread now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.