Firework NEC

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!

matty260191

Peasant the 2nd
Oct 22, 2012
Question, does the NEC indicated on a firework just tell you how much explosives is in the firework or does it include all powder in the firework.

For example

Firework contains 100g NEC but weights 1KG now does that mean there is 900g packaging or would there be other powder that's not classed as explosives in the firework.

berry1

Wizard the 2nd
Oct 7, 2012
matty260191 said:
Question, does the NEC indicated on a firework just tell you how much explosives is in the firework or does it include all powder in the firework.

For example

Firework contains 100g NEC but weights 1KG now does that mean there is 900g packaging or would there be other powder that's not classed as explosives in the firework.
Any substance in a firework that is explosive or falls into a explosive category will be classed under the nec. Lets say a firework weighs 10kg but doesn't give a nec it would be wise to estimate the nec as being 1/3 the fireworks total weight.

Wish they would give nec for cakes instead of giving total weight it makes storing them a hassle.

jay

Noble the 2nd
Oct 11, 2012
there are the tightly packed cardboard launch tubes, plus the clay bungs in the bottom, plus the packaging, plus the casing/ packaging for the burst charge and stars (which probably don't count as explosive) and the tightly packed lift charge and burst charge.
times that by the number of shots and it all adds up to the total weight. and about 1/4 to 1/3 of that is taken up by the explosive content usually. :)

matty260191

Peasant the 2nd
Oct 22, 2012
OK I'm sort of getting my answer. let me make it simpler. If my firework has NEC of 10g, does that mean that is all that's in the tube or is there other stuff that's not explosive which contributes to the effect?

berry1

Wizard the 2nd
Oct 7, 2012
matty260191 said:
OK I'm sort of getting my answer. let me make it simpler. If my firework has NEC of 10g, does that mean that is all that's in the tube or is there other stuff that's not explosive which contributes to the effect?
If it states 10g then that is all that is counted is the explosive compositions in the tube.

Only the explosives contribute to the effect but without some things like clay plugs then the effect wouldn't even make it into the sky. But no only the explosives effect the visual and sound effects of the firework.

So if it says nec 10g you can be certain that it contains a straight 10g of explosives from lifts and breaks like flash and bp to stars and effect powders this all comes under the nec.

matty260191

Peasant the 2nd
Oct 22, 2012
berry1 said:
matty260191 said:
If it states 10g then that is all that is counted is the explosive compositions in the tube.

Only the explosives contribute to the effect but without some things like clay plugs then the effect wouldn't even make it into the sky. But no only the explosives effect the visual and sound effects of the firework.

So if it says nec 10g you can be certain that it contains a straight 10g of explosives from lifts and breaks like flash and bp to stars and effect powders this all comes under the nec.
answered my question exactly thanks you :)