1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fab Petition

Discussion in 'Fireworks Chat And Discussion' started by Jezzadw, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th

A debate was inevitable but hopefully it won’t get any further. Seeing as there is a debate imminant now, may I request that people write to their local MP asking them to be in favour of fireworks, the antis are doing the same so we could do with counter attacking. I’m currently awaiting reply from Taunton Deane MP Rebecca Pow

2. FireworksDude86

FireworksDude86

Noble the 3rd

The haters will always find a way to hate even if it doesn't affect them personally.

Fireworks are a love or hate thing. People that love them, love them. People that hate them will latch on to anything negative related to fireworks in order to try and have a louder voice. Seen it all before. Dog haters reading about some dog being scared and saying "poor dog, see they should be banned" or others hearing of an unfortunate story where a family didn't read the instructions and a kid got hurt. They jump on that bandwagon.

This year on Facebook I pulled several people up on this on facebook. The answers were priceless.

A man who I know of locally who lives in the same road as me joined in. Saying throughout the year he keeps seeing kids in the street "throwing firecrackers and bangers" at homes in the area. When I commented about how that's impossible as those fireworks have been banned for many years and that I live in the same street and hear absolutely nothing, he didn't reply.

So it's all agenda based really. When people don't like something they will bend the truth and fabricate things.

This is reflected in the petition. The number affected by fireworks is way, way, way less than the people that just dislike them. Disliking something isn't a reason to ban it.

If the numbers of reported incidents with fireworks each year increased then yeah, maybe the government would act, but actually as I recall only around 100 incidents documented with fireworks occuring each year (out of what, 200,000+ displays). Which is very little and won't prompt the government to act

AnthonyUKpyro likes this.
  3. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th

The main problem with the petition is it doesn't represent 105,000 people. You can sign it twice on the same email, therefore you can almost half the number straight away. Someone posted some evidence on UKF R that non-UK residents have also signed the petition, so really i bet there's less than 50,000 legitimate signatures on it anyway. Which equates almost exactly to 0.1% of the electorate, and 0.08% of the whole british population. That, really, is a very trivial number

FireworksDude86 likes this.
  4. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th

That was an edgy hour or 2, I think we came out pretty well though, safe for at least another year you'd think

5. Jezzadw

Jezzadw

Baronet

I fell asleep practically. Most boring one sided thing I've heard in ages. Sounds like we'll be okay till the next petition. Same concencious on the UKF&R that it was one sided and we'll be okay for bit. But sounds like the anti's won't go away.

Somersetpyro likes this.
  6. AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Wizard the 3rd

So, looks like the do gooders didn't get their way after all. Good! ;)

7. Jezzadw

Jezzadw

Baronet

Enjoy it while it lasts, the number of MP's who were against garden fireworks and the addition of FAB means the topic will never go away and I can see changes in the future. Noise levels and selling age for sure. Sad times.

8. AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Wizard the 3rd

Why you putting a downer on things?

All I can see happen is :

Police forces will be told to pull their finger out, stop having a cigarette or coffee or sandwich in the patrol car and toughen up on anti social fireworks misuse by young people thru stricter better enforcement of the laws (they're not properly enforced as they should be) with the threat of fines / prison for parents of those young people who refuse to comply,

And more and more shops will suffer the wrath of trading standards for breaking underage fireworks sales and face the COMPULSORY MANDATORY imposition of Challenge 25 on ALL SHOPS selling fireworks to the public, and not just for the supermarkets either,

and government intervention by closure of FB and Twitter accounts of those people intent on selling fireworks illegally to under 18s.

That's all I can see happening......;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  9. Joe ciabatti

Joe ciabatti

Noble the 2nd

I don't think selling age will change as legally when you become an adult you can do everything except supervise a learner driver or become an mp and they are due to required experience. Noise levels maybe although this has already been lowered in the past, likely that 1.3g could be banned even pyromeshed to address this but not sure if that can happen until we are officially out of the EU. Goo thing that came from the debate is that it looks like in the future statistics regarding dangers etc of fireworks will be looked into and that gives me confidence fireworks are hear to stay as FAB etc wouldn't have a leg to stay in. As a compromise I'd ban sparklers, as much as I love them you'd half all firework related injuries and then the already low amount of injuries would Become absolutely insignificant to any debate on the safety of fireworks as already you are less likely to be injured by a firework than say hit by a car. Nearly all firework injuries take place at home where you have the choice to use them so if you aren't firing them or at someone's display you have close to zero chance statistically of being injured by one

10. Somersetpyro Moderator

Somersetpyro

Sovereign the 7th

Congrats Joe, first typo of 2018 :D I do agree though, they won't change the legal age of purchase, not if knives and alcohol remain at 18. And I'd also agree about banning sparklers, or having a requirement for them to be wood instead (I'm sure we saw this a few years ago) so there'd be no hot metal issue. It does seem though that the real issue is noise for these people, so a reduction in noise levels is probably quite likely at some point unfortunately

Joe ciabatti likes this.
  11. Joe ciabatti

Joe ciabatti

Noble the 2nd

@Somersetpyro I wonder if a sparkling effect can be added to a portfire and sold as sparklers? They'd be much safer, work just as well and last a lot longer!

12. AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Wizard the 3rd

Noise - more manufacturers could be coerced and forced into producing large numbers of lower noise fireworks based on the excellent Millennium Pyrotechnics Silent Knight range with quiet pretty effects ie gentle crackle flying fish tourbillions falling leaves comets coloured stars spinners glitter flitter etc and without the bangs whistles and crackles etc, and there could be a requirement to sell these out of season too,

- 1.3g fireworks could either face pyromesh packaging on all products and / or withdrawal of roman-candle packs in 1.3g class and rocket packs and singles in 1.3g class to reduce misuse,

- the sales and use of 1.3g fireworks could well be restricted to the main times of the year when fireworks are widely sold for the main festivals ie Guy Fawkes Diwali NYE and Chinese New Year with NO sales or use allowed outside those periods,

Nuisance - stricter enforcement of the 11pm curfew with fines and prison plus court appearances asap for offenders,

young people caught misusing fireworks and or possessing and using them in public places would be hauled before the courts along with the parents next day and fines and secure care or prison would be the result,

Anyone committing arson or property damage with fireworks would be hauled before the courts and be fined/imprisoned,

Anyone harming animals with fireworks or causing serious distress or alarm to them with them would also face fines and prison.

All shops selling fireworks COULD be forced to use Challenge 25 on all sales of them,

And shops whom break the law on underage sale would ideally have firework stock removed, licence revoked and a refusal to licence that shop ever again to sell fireworks.

And adults who buy fireworks for children on their behalf and or give them to kids would be imprisoned and fined.

All this rubbish about austerity and "we can't carry out these measures to the public" are a load of codswallop!!!

They CAN but in many cases CAN'T be bothered and all police forces of the United Kingdom see enforcement of fireworks law as low priority when it SHOULD be their responsibility and IS their responsibility to carry out and uphold the laws of the land, why the hell do we pay council tax to the police if they are not gonna do their job properly and enforce what our Govt put into law???

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  13. Jezzadw

Jezzadw

Baronet

I'm not putting a downer on anything. But the more people complain the government will have to do something to appease them even if it doesn't make sense. I'm not against fireworks I love them but when had the right decision been reached in this country when a stupid or bad one can be chosen lol