Earliest memories of supermarket/shop purchases.

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!

markchambers99

Noble the 1st
Nov 3, 2015
Stanley, Co. Durham
This week had me thinking about how the sale of fireworks in the run up to 5th November had changed

When I was a nipper, supermarkets didn't really sell fireworks. It was always the little newsagent or the hardware store. On our main highstreet we had 2 little newsagents at the bottom that sold Standard, a hardware shop in the middle that sold a mixture of Brock and Astra, with another variety store at the top of the street selling Brightstar, with other little shops selling Black Cat and cosmic in the local area.

I used to love the run up to sales where the posters filled the windows of the little shops. I always knew it was time when one of the corner ships used to stop selling his ice cream and use the freezer for fireworks.

Some of the little shops used to open the selection boxes up and let s have a peek before we bought.

My first ever supermarket memory was a random year our local asda (pre Walmart) sold some brightstar stuff and there were some mini monster selection boxes in those red basket things asda used to have for 2.99.

Gradually over the years the smaller shops stopped and the supermarkets took over, but will always look back fondly on this era. What are others recollections of shop stocks and purchases in years gone by?

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
My earliest memories only go back to the mid-2000s, but that's long enough ago to remember seeing the awesome stuff the supermarkets had around then. I remember all the Standard in Tesco and latterly sainsburys, and the great stuff One Stop used to sell, although Chaplins was always the main place we went as a family. Picking out stuff from their cabinets will always be a very happy memory for me :)

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
When I was born in 1970, my first introduction to fireworks was the Standard Fireworks Size 12 selection box from Mercer's Ironmongers Northgate Blackburn Lancashire. The shop had everything Standard Fireworks manufactured, from selection boxes to big single display type fireworks i.e. setpiece fountains, setpiece wheels, setpiece wheel / fountain combinations, roman candle bouquets of all sizes, roman candle batteries on stakes, single wheels, double and triple wheels, fountain bouquets on stakes i.e Spring Magic / Prince Of Wales Feathers, Standard Bangers, Standard Air Bombs, Standard Super Sonic Bangs, Standard Screechers, Standard Starshells, Standard Silver Rain Fountain, Standard Mine Of Serpents, Standard Devil Amongst The Tailors, Standard Giant Sparklers, Standard King Size Sparklers, all sizes of Standard Rockets and everything else in between. It was the best place for Standard Fireworks.

markchambers99

Noble the 1st
Nov 3, 2015
Stanley, Co. Durham
When I was born in 1970, my first introduction to fireworks was the Standard Fireworks Size 12 selection box from Mercer's Ironmongers Northgate Blackburn Lancashire. The shop had everything Standard Fireworks manufactured, from selection boxes to big single display type fireworks i.e. setpiece fountains, setpiece wheels, setpiece wheel / fountain combinations, roman candle bouquets of all sizes, roman candle batteries on stakes, single wheels, double and triple wheels, fountain bouquets on stakes i.e Spring Magic / Prince Of Wales Feathers, Standard Bangers, Standard Air Bombs, Standard Super Sonic Bangs, Standard Screechers, Standard Starshells, Standard Silver Rain Fountain, Standard Mine Of Serpents, Standard Devil Amongst The Tailors, Standard Giant Sparklers, Standard King Size Sparklers, all sizes of Standard Rockets and everything else in between. It was the best place for Standard Fireworks.
Sounds like my idea of heaven

FATKAT24

Baronet the 2nd
Oct 19, 2012
Harrow
My dad used to buy fireworks from the local newsagent he would spend £50 in the late 70's and you would get a stack of fireworks for that money, Astra fireworks were very big at that time, ever since those days i've been a pyro fanatic ever since. Though i do remember being very scared of rockets When I was around 6 years of age.

Last edited:

FATKAT24

Baronet the 2nd
Oct 19, 2012
Harrow
Esco Fireworks started appearing in shops from 1983 and they were very cheap and affordable with it.
I remember us buying a small Esco fountain in the box, and was blown away how high it went would have been around 12 - 15 feet easily. Those were days I remember for pyro always used to look forward to seeing the posters in the windows to signify shops are selling pyro.

markchambers99

Noble the 1st
Nov 3, 2015
Stanley, Co. Durham
My dad used to buy fireworks from the local newsagent he would spend £50 in the late 70's and you would get a stack of fireworks for that money, Astra fireworks were very big at that time, ever since those days i've been a pyro fanatic ever since. Though i do remember being very scared of rockets When I was around 6 years of age.
Sympathise on the rockets. One year we bought some Standard Starseeker fireworks and I was lead to believe they didn't screech. I never ran so fast into the house when the first one went up. Didn't have a launcher in the pack either so used an old pop bottle.

aquila

Noble the 1st
Oct 22, 2016
County Durham
1998 and there used to be a discount supermarket in Sunderland called Food Giant and they had a seasonal counter with some really cool cheap fireworks. I was only 16 but still had the balls to try and buy them - it didn't go down well lol
So I handed my dad a tenner and gave him a list of what I wanted: air bombs, Roman candles and bottle rockets. Ended up taking them to the beach to celebrate my cousin's 18th a few days before bfn.
Great times!

Aerial Display

Peasant
Oct 14, 2021
Nottingham
Not really bought from supermarkets however I recall a shop in the 70s/80s called Frettinghams sadly no longer..he had a large window display with the classic standard posters.the fireworks/post lit we're probably from the 60s/70s but god they were awesome to look at.inside the fireworks were behind glass cabinet's and ranged from singles to real big stuff.we always shopped there right up until he sadly passed and after that the shop was sold and became something else.i always wondered what happened to his window display as it would be worth a fortune now and massively collectable...

Firey Dave

Baronet
Oct 25, 2014
I was born in 1980 and don't really remember it's getting fireworks as a child except once. My brother and I were pretty young and watched with our mum and neighbour through the window as my dad lit some fountains and Catherine wheels (which he'd nailed to the front of the garage). Our primary school used to do a lovely family event every year which we went to many times, although I didn't like the loud bangs. Then in about 95 or 96 I wasn't quite old enough to buy fireworks by a school friends family were having a bfn party, I'd seen a £5 black cat selection box in the local newsagent I wanted to take, so gave my older brother the money and he went and bought them for me. I lost track of how many times I took these out of the box and studied each one between getting them and going to the party :ROFLMAO:. Then I remember buying my first fireworks (when 16 was the legal age), Black Cat Thunder King shot tubes. £3.50 for I think 6, damn they were loud.

Aerial Display

Peasant
Oct 14, 2021
Nottingham
Back again!...was thinking about my first purchase (well tried to buy!).penny for the guy yes you've read correctly until we made a pound or so which in the 70s was some feat when I think you'd get 1 or 2p from passer's by..we had no real chance of buying although we'd try but we'd get somebody to get them for us!..our choices were always Benwell bangers as you'd get 10 opposed to Standards 6 and aerosonic 6.and if we'd made enough an air bomb repeater..absolutely cracking days and I still miss them.