Do you feel the current restrictions on supermarket fireworks are unfair?

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 1st
I see no problems with a little 1.3 included in supermarket ranges such as 25 Carat and Ipanema (if it's proved to be 1.3), there is NO need for excessive restrictions on supermarkets selling 1.3g performance fireworks to the public in 1.4g packaging like pyromesh.

The 1.4g stuff supermarkets sell is so variable;50% is floppy poor performance product and the other 50% is slightly better, it's much of a muchness tbh. A little 1.3 included in 1.4g packaging like pyromesh would make it easy to consumers to take home and store safely without the need to be overly cautious.:-/

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Problem is, if supermarkets start selling performance fireworks, then the seasonal shops will dwell in numbers some will stay afloat, But a lot of them will fall dramatically.

But saying that most supermarkets could start selling something better than just these poor party poppers..

I don't see why supermarkets cant do some kind of offer where you can pre-order larger types of fireworks that they cant hold instore , and you collect on a certain date.
I know last year I had 1.3g rockets from Wyevale garden centre ,which I pre-ordered, but they kept them onsite until I collected.
supermarkets are local and I feel they could make an effort to supply better pyro to the people ,but I suppose they are happy selling what they do with the margins they are getting.

Rich

Esquire the 2nd
All the time they continue to sell low rent puffs of air why would they bother improvibg upon their offerings? Now before I am ridiculed I am not suggesting 100% fall into this category! :)

Cossi your idea sounds good in an ideal world but to operate such a scheme in national chain supermarkets carries too much expense and far too many logistics issues for them to even consider. My local supermarket struggles to keep some of the basics in Stock let alone using their deliveries for ordered fireworks.

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Rich said:
All the time they continue to sell low rent puffs of air why would they bother improvibg upon their offerings? Now before I am ridiculed I am not suggesting 100% fall into this category! :)

Cossi your idea sounds good in an ideal world but to operate such a scheme in national chain supermarkets carries too much expense and far too many logistics issues for them to even consider. My local supermarket struggles to keep some of the basics in Stock let alone using their deliveries for ordered fireworks.
Lol that cracked me up. Your local supermarket, I thought that was nation wide

Si7

Noble the 3rd
JTF are trying to sell 1.3G this year but I think the procedure is unworkable, all 1.3G items have to be pre-ordered and paid for up front and then "when" the delivery turns up at your store the onus is upon to you to be there to collect direct from the courier in the carpark.. No 1.3G items can enter JTF stores. In addition there is only a 2 hour time slot for all this to occur, god help you if you're at work when the courier arrives!!

jay

Noble the 2nd
Way to restricted recently. Used to be able to get great pyro from supermarkets in my opinion. Loved the Black Mamba/ Black Gemini rockets from Morrisons and all the Dynasty/ Cosmic stuff. now the rockets are pathetic and most barrages are watered down due to the unfair restrictions.

When supermarkets first started selling fireworks they sold a lot of what is now classed as 1.3,Sainsbury's sold some really good stuff from the Cosmic range like my favourite,the original "Armageddon" and other large,powerful cakes,Morrison's had a good range too and the prices were very competitive,now it's all over-priced stuff that i wouldn't waste my money on,plenty of other places to get good pyro!

Rich

Esquire the 2nd
At the end of the day you get what you pay for. There are some good little items out there in the supermarkets but there are a lot of dogs too. There are still plenty of deals to be had in the dedicated retailers you just have to do your research.

Personally 90% of my stash comes from dedicated retailers but I do pick up the odd piece from supermarkets.

As for prices going up- that's just the way of the world right now. We all live in tough times and as prices rise in other things it has a knock on effect on consumer goods. Petrel bread clothes fireworks, it is what it is.

Gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
A very nice reply, Rich, it is hard times at the moment, people losing jobs, not having what they had the year before. But if you save that little here and there, then just by magic stuff will be available. Basically you just have to research.

The sweetest thing about these forums, is where you can always bring your questions. If you are finding it hard to buy from somewhere 1 year, just make a thread ask away and I'm sure people would be more than happy to share were the cheapest and best buys are. :)

pyro-rob

Royal Knight the 3rd
Well supermarket warehouses are not a safe place to put fireworks after xmas temping in asda a few years ago now i see why they dont hold 1.3g. also they are catering for "small gardens" and from a business point of veiw people want "cheap puff boxes of genuine air" it is mostly down to profits though

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 1st
pyro-rob said:
Well supermarket warehouses are not a safe place to put fireworks after xmas temping in asda a few years ago now i see why they dont hold 1.3g. also they are catering for "small gardens" and from a business point of veiw people want "cheap puff boxes of genuine air" it is mostly down to profits though
Well why should the supermarkets sell weak and weedy tame BS7114 compliant 1.4g garden 5m and display 25m fireworks with effects so crud they literally disappoint? If I was a supermarket I would ditch the current crop of weak weedy and tame BS7114 1.4g spec garden and display retail fireworks completely, rewite my seasonal firework strategy and sell the brand new powerful and excellent CE Standard 8m and 15m garden retail fireworks plus 25m retail display fireworks, which i've seen in the flesh and in action too;these are pretty much excellent and have more bang for your buck plus more noise more colour and they also have far more pizazz and panache with beautiful and stunning effects that will blow your audience (and you) away!:) They're great value.

Rich

Esquire the 2nd
I think we can debate this till the cows cone home. All the time they make profits out of selling boxes of air they will not change. There are too many things for them to consider which adds additional costs. Storage, staff training, logistics. .

I think the real point here is that there are actually some good 1.4g items out there and the supermarkets should do a little research and choose wisely rather than just take what the firework company sales rep is pushing.