Changes to UKCA firework specifications next year, it could be disastrous for some companies retail / display

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 5th
Feb 13, 2013
Reading in the current edition of Fireworks Magazine, Andy Hubble of the British Fireworks Association reports that the changes to UKCA next year from the current CE firework specifications could well prove to be disastrous for many UK retail fireworks importers / distributors and some firework display companies, and it may well result in some companies even going under and out of business which would be a real shame.

Retail firework choice could be affected too with fewer lines available due to the changes.

A friend of mine, Wayne at Firework Shop UK Bamber Bridge Nr Preston Lancs told me, while I was buying some Queen's Platinum Jubilee fireworks, that if he has to destroy all his remaining CE compliant stock because of the changes next year, he is going to demand to be generously compensated for the costs of having to get rid of it all and I imagine several other retail firework outlets will demand the same(although I would happily help him to do it positively with putting on some displays with it all and I would gladly don my protective gear and help him fire it because I love fireworks).

The BS7114 to CE changeover debacle was bad enough, alongside with associated costs etc of disposing of those (perfectly safe and useable) fireworks, without this set of consequences to add next year.

We'll see what next year brings eh? Let's enjoy the year with the current fireworks we have for now. Happy firing!

Last edited:
Reactions: SilberWirbel

SilberWirbel

Noble the 3rd
Oct 12, 2016
UK
It would be sad if any supplier has to burn stock. Surely a window to sell old stock should be factored in and then if needed a few discounts or offers could be used to sell the old stuff off for at least cost price. That's what happened with the old BS stuff back in the day.

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 5th
Feb 13, 2013
It would be sad if any supplier has to burn stock. Surely a window to sell old stock should be factored in and then if needed a few discounts or offers could be used to sell the old stuff off for at least cost price. That's what happened with the old BS stuff back in the day.
I can't find any mention of a sales window in the new rules, which are full of pointless technicalities etc, and with it being brought in at speed midnight on New Year's Eve, at the speed that it is, it doesn't give much wiggle room leeway or knee-room for UK firework companies / importers and distributors, plus fireworks display companies to manœvre forward and speed up this change, my guess is that, the existing CE fireworks will probably be allowed to be sold alongside any newer UKCA fireworks in retail premises, in an attempt to exhaust CE firework stocks and run them out, and any such window will also allow fireworks display companies to easily use up their CE compliant professional F4 fireworks in displays for 2023 product year, and from 2024 it'll be all UKCA firework products only, although this is just theoretically a guess imho.

Last edited: