CE mark on fireworks may have to go!

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 1st
I've been reading online that when the UK leaves the EU, the CE mark that is applied to many goods, including consumer fireworks, can no longer be used by the UK and companies that manufacture and export goods abroad and those that import goods into the UK i.e. fireworks companies and sell here will have to adopt a UK mark of some kind. It could also mean that we could get back to developing our own safety standards for fireworks, but UK manufacturers say that developing a UK mark for goods could complicate matters and lead to more costs if the UK can no longer use the CE mark for it's products. Interesting times ahead. ;)

Maxywell

Peasant the 1st
I'm guessing that won't actually come into effect on March 29th... there's no way everything ce marked could be changed in time it would cause chaos and likely cost the UK billions.It'll be a fazed change over 2 or 3 years much like the change to ce was probably.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 1st
I'm guessing that won't actually come into effect on March 29th... there's no way everything ce marked could be changed in time it would cause chaos and likely cost the UK billions.It'll be a fazed change over 2 or 3 years much like the change to ce was probably.
I think they'll run down CE stock in 2 years and remark products with the new UK mark product while those existing CE products are run out.

Krony

Peasant the 2nd
Tbh imo nothing will change for a while and if it does it will be the same CE products and testing but the UK will have to use a different legislation mark, i.e. the testing has been done for CE so the UK accepts that but just sticks a BS stamp on it.

Tbh imo nothing will change for a while and if it does it will be the same CE products and testing but the UK will have to use a different legislation mark, i.e. the testing has been done for CE so the UK accepts that but just sticks a BS stamp on it.
Definitely agree there, the industry would strongly resent a complete legislation change I think, also seems a bit pointless to me lol

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 1st
But if the UK has been told it can no longer use the CE mark on consumer products like fireworks, then there has to be a strategy to introduce a new BS mark of our own in some form and introduce it so we are not breaking EU laws by using something that we are NOT entitled to use no more as a non member of the European Union.

When a country leaves Europe then it CANNOT technically keep using European Standards for its own country products and has to refrain from it as soon as is practicably possible, which is why they have to be phased out in favour of a countries own standards.

A two to three year phase out of CE Fireworks in the United Kingdom is enough time to quickly formulate a new British product standard mark and bring in any new product standard testing regimes that may also be required.

European Standards for UK consumer goods are weak and utterly dangerous with less safe product parameters and requirements which is why the British Fireworks Association and Firework Makers Guild were absolutely livid at what they had to adopt and accept from idiots in Europe who have absolutely no clue whatsoever as what contributes to safe consumer product and they STILL don't to this very day - idiots in Brussels have a mentality of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing... :)

Maxywell

Peasant the 1st
Almost everything in the UK is ce marked from fridges to hoovers to fireworks.It won't be a case of the EU just telling us we can no longer use it as it would cost billions not just to the UK but to other foreign manufacturers to retest everything to a different standard.Most likely the ce mark will just be copied over and given a different name and eventually certain items will start to differ slightly because we'll be able to use our own safety standards but that likely won't be for at least a couple of years.CE fireworks won't change before 2021 at the earliest in my opinion.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 1st
Almost everything in the UK is ce marked from fridges to hoovers to fireworks.It won't be a case of the EU just telling us we can no longer use it as it would cost billions not just to the UK but to other foreign manufacturers to retest everything to a different standard.Most likely the ce mark will just be copied over and given a different name and eventually certain items will start to differ slightly because we'll be able to use our own safety standards but that likely won't be for at least a couple of years.CE fireworks won't change before 2021 at the earliest in my opinion.
Those countries in the EU won't have to change a single thing as those countries still in the EU will essentially stick to it and keep using CE marks as per normal on their product, on the other hand we, the UK, ARE affected, because we are pulling out of the European Union and as such, have been told as such, that we cannot carry on using the CE mark on UK product after March 29th.

You are right @Maxywell, there will probably be a transitional period for a new UK mark to be phased in and become permanent, at least over 2-3 years at most, that is assured, it's not going to just disappear overnight in a flash, as Tommy Cooper would say "just like that!", and yet it remains to be seen what UK manufacturers and importers what they will actually do.

An option would be to stick a UK mark sticker of some sort over the CE mark as this would help somewhat and prevent any discord, alarm, worry and upset amongst UK firework retail product companies and those companies who provide F4 compliant professional fireworks, which are also marked CE, for display companies, that would be an obvious easy way to do it as Krony says, and this would help in the short term until something new comes along which UK firework retail products companies and suppliers to professional display firms can follow and work to.

Last edited:

Pyrobrummie

Baronet the 3rd
If the labelling does have to change and they put an end date to when old labelled stock needs to be sold then there's a possibility of some severely reduced pyro at that moment in time... Ahhhhh cheap pyro  o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Be rude not to indulge :cool: