Can CE-F1 Fountains have an 8m spectator safety distance?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
I have a Gemstone Fireworks Diamond Selection Box with a mixture of CE-F1 1m fireworks and CE-F2 8m fireworks and I've noticed the 2xMt Etna cone fountains, both 7g NEC, are marked CE-F1 8m spectator safety distance.

The same 7g NEC powder weight also applies to the 3xWhite Pine Fountains, 2xRed Blues Fountains and 3xPurple Crack Fountains but these, while also being CE-F1, are 1m spectator safety distance.

Can manufacturers apply different spectator safety distances to something of the same classification even of same powder weight, or are they merely playing safe, say in the terms of effect height / debris fallout risk etc and product performance?

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Cardiff
Very likely that they're just playing it safe. Maybe those ones particularly have some crackle or another bigger effect. Either that or it's another mistake from them lol

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
Very likely that they're just playing it safe. Maybe those ones particularly have some crackle or another bigger effect. Either that or it's another mistake from them lol
You could well be right, the manufacturers / importers and distributors of UK CE (shortly to be UKCA compliant from next year) compliant firework products could well be playing it safe, and using a similar methodology to the old BS 7114 requirements, i.e. if something produces an effect height or throws sparks / effects or debris, outside a predetermined safe limit for an outdoor consumer firework, then the UK fireworks manufacturers / distributors and importers can, if they wish, increase a product's spectator safety distance, even if a CE classification deems it safe at a reduced spectator safety distance.

Reactions: Somersetpyro