Bs7114 Vs Ce European Standard Bs-en14035 For Fireworks What Do You Prefer?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

Firework safety standards what would you prefer? BS7114 part 2 1988 OR European Standard CE

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
The way I see it is this-there are BIG differences in safety performance reliability protocols within BS7114 and CE European Standard BS-EN14035 when it comes to testing and there is some frightening developments in the latter standard which could prove potentially very dangerous, whereas BS7114 uses a tried tested and trusted sensible formula that guarantees good safety levels by classification based on debris, fallout distances, fusing, construction, integrity etc.

The European Standard is far less stringent using a basic formula for safety performance and reliability based on size of burst/effect height, the result being that this less stringent set of safety reliability and performance protocols is putting unnecessarily powerful and large items which are too potentially dangerous for a back garden at 8m into CE Cat 2 classification which could, lead to some serious firework accidents with people standing too close and possibly being injured by hot fallout from cakes barrages etc, many people new to fireworks probably won't know any better until it is too late and somebody is injured because they bought an overly powerful 8m firework by mistake thinking it is safe for a back garden when quite clearly it's NOT.

Our BS7114 part 1988 requirements, although sometimes over the top at least for small fireworks, guarantees a bit more product safety even if something is classified as too tame for a long 25 metre distance, but we CAN use some good common sense with tame Cat 3 where that is that is the case of anything being gentle at such a distance away (where marked DISPLAY FIREWORK) and is small.

So over too you, should we carry on with BS7114 part 2 1988 classification of fireworks OR is the new European Standard even if products are too powerful for under the new 2017 regime any safer? You decide.

Last edited:

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Snickerdoodle! hell ant, you do love a long thread title! :D

This is a bit of a conflicting thread, are you on about safety stuff or the quality of the fireworks? I think there's been enough threads about the safety concerns of CE fireworks, so let's not have another. I think it's best to comment and vote on the performance of the fireworks :)

It really depends what you like. I think selection boxes are far better as BS, much better fountains/small candles/cakes than their CE counterparts. Also salute cakes, biggest disappointment with the new regs for me. However, some of the new cakes/cat 2 rockets/big fountains under CE are incredible (take the Celtic, Jorge and Mars ranges as an example) and i'd be happy to have these in any stash :)

Mars Pyrotechnics

Peasant the 2nd
Jun 13, 2015
Mars HQ
Ok the reason I selected CE is not purely on a safety reason. The testing procedure is pretty intense and we took along time getting ours passed. I feel the CE regs make things much more interesting when it comes to designing the actual firework (cakes / barrages in particular) as before weight was not so much of a problem you could happily plod along adding larger quantities of powder / effect. This has made designers spend longer thinking about the effects they want to use and achieve. It also make the factories produce better quality powders to keep weights lower. For instance the first two factories I saw demos of our products from were breaking the bombettes with 5g and 4.5g of flash with relatively small bursts. The factory I went with for cakes currently only use 3g of flash to break the bombettes with a vastly improved burst radius. Puts things into perspective when you think a 49shot cake saves 98g on flash which effectively gives me 98g more effect powder! :)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
@Mars Pyrotechnics you would have had to change pretty soon anyway to be compliant by 2017, so this period gives you time to get your products spot on :) (they are pretty close anyway).

I can tell this thread is going to go off-topic very quickly, think it's best if we all just comment only on the differences in the performances between BS and CE fireworks.

Mars Pyrotechnics

Peasant the 2nd
Jun 13, 2015
Mars HQ
@Mars Pyrotechnics you would have had to change pretty soon anyway to be compliant by 2017, so this period gives you time to get your products spot on :) (they are pretty close anyway).

I can tell this thread is going to go off-topic very quickly, think it's best if we all just comment only on the differences in the performances between BS and CE fireworks.
Performance wise our CE products are far superior to our old BS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.