Best Food For Traditional Guy Fawkes Night

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
yes, i know we are 8 months away from the great British tradition, But I want us all to share a traditional recipe we have every year, and why you have it.

For myself, it definitely has to be either 2 off these or both that is the jacket potato with a chili type filling and it a good old beef burger with butter fried onions.

I'm making this post because I am hungry and I have been reading a lot about fireworks this morning.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
For us, it's always hot dogs, with proper sausages not frankfurters, with whatever we want on them. I normally go for cheese and ketchup :D

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
Baked potatoes with cheese and wuster sauce
Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) or fan 160c (330f) or equivalent gas mark setting, rinse and stab as many baking potatoes as you require and microwave these on full power until soft inside. Remove the potatoes, quickly transfer to and place on a baking tray and bake for 15-20mins. Remove from oven, split and add some grated cheese of your choice and a splash of Lea & Perrins Wuster Sauce then pop under a preheated grill till cheese bubbles and browns, remove and serve hot with whatever accompaniments you may like! Delicious! ;);)

Last edited:
Reactions: gaz

Neil...

Peasant the 2nd
Jul 28, 2016
Blackpool
I agree, unfortunately that all seems to been lost.

So sad: The days of local bonfires ( young kids collecting wood / gates / anything flammable) and enjoying themselves seems to have gone. :(

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
I cannot express how much i agree to this, Those days was the best, I remember them from my younger years. last 25 years it completely vanished.

This is what we call a bubble wrap world, too many kids indoor playing on the console/PC than actually experience going out to late at night.

Neil...

Peasant the 2nd
Jul 28, 2016
Blackpool
I understand that we all want to make the world a safer place, especially for our kids.
I understand that fire / fireworks can be dangerous.
But we have to live a little. Make our own mistakes. Dance with the devil, whatever..
I used to be so excited when the fire brigade used to come in school to explain the dangers of bonfire night, and it is till in my memory after all this time.
So much has been taken away from us and our kids.

I think the word is freedom.. Shame.. :(

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
Many councils have banned bonfires because some people use it as an excuse to get rid of everything EVEN if it is dangerous to burn or it just won't burn in a get-rid burnfest;

Empty LPG cylinders from bbq's mobile heaters etc (explosion, flying projectile and burn hazard),

Old CRT TV's (fumes and exploding TV tubes with the glass expanding),

Foam filled furniture (poisonous hydrogen cyanide fumes (this can sear throats) and black smoke),

Car engines (black smoke from oil / filters / fluids etc and unburnable metal),

Glass bottles (explosion and mess from flying broken glass if they explode;this happens if they're burnt with lids on fastened up),

Aerosol cans (explosion and flying projectile hazard),

Car batteries (explosion hazard),

Corrugated and sheet asbestos from roofs old garages etc (cracking exploding and flying projectiles as the sheet expands and cracks),

Car tyres (black smoke and explosion hazard if burnt on wheels and rims),

Domestic batteries for radios torches etc (expansion and explosion),

Slate (this just cracks explodes and flies),

Chemical drums (these explode),

VCR's, DVD players, PC's, old expired laptops, irons, vacuum cleaners, microwave ovens and large electrical and gas domestic appliances like cookers washing machines dishwashers etc (these produce black smoke from plastics rubber etc and the metal DOES NOT BURN leaving even more mess to dispose of).

Sheet rubber / plastic / polystyrene (thick black smoke)

Old carpet (thick black smoke)

Also bonfires leave a mess for council cleansing departments to clean up day after especially if dangerous and / or unsuitable items have been burned which is another bane they can well do without - if people stuck to wood and didn't burn dangerous or unsuitable rubbish they would not be a problem as they currently are and have become - sad but TRUE and that's another thing that has killed Nov 5th bonfires. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: gaz