Are Local Fire Brigades Killjoys When It Comes To Home Firework Displays?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
A friend of mine has been having fireworks for several years at home without a problem, and last year I went up there with a good mix of selection box fireworks and packaged stuff ie fountains/roman candles, all went well without a hitch and his kids loved them and we took a couple of sparkler breaks as well (I had to put some of the more powerful pieces in the alley and light them there because they would have been dangerous if they had been placed in a bucket of sand on the wall and would have been far too close for safe viewing).

However day after when a local fire officer came to my friends house he told him "you can't have fireworks no more, it's too built up and there are overhead telephone cables". Who the HELL IS HE to lay down the law as to where people CAN AND CAN'T have fireworks? The fireworks didn't even hit the cables and weren't posing a danger to anyone at all.

Anyway I have written a letter to the local fire brigade asking for an apology and sent it off, I hope a get an apology;I have also explained that many of the new larger European Standard 8m garden fireworks coming out are TOO POWERFUL FOR A BACK GARDEN OR BACK YARD and many are with the size of them, to use the bigger 8m fireworks in a bucket of sand at 5 metres away (and bearing in mind that not all gardens and back yards are suitable for these) IS asking for trouble especially if they go wrong and/or misfire. Hope they listen to what I have to say and take it in sensibly. ;)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I have to agree tbh, from what you've said you and your friend were being sensible and only had smaller fireworks that were appropriate for the space available. The fact that he came round and said you can't have them because there 'are telephone cables' is utter bullshit. Our BFN firing garden has three cables over it. We've fired fireworks there for 4 years and never has there been any problem at all. Obviously, we don't use fanned pieces as there may well be a problem there if we did, but rockets, candles and cakes have been fired with no problems at all. As for too built up, that is just nonsence as well.

Your letter however, by saying that the new CE fireworks are too powerful for a back garden probably wasn't the best idea, it gives them more ammo to go on an anti-fireworks rant. The complaint of the fire officers conduct is fair enough, but i wouldn't have said anything about the new regs.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
I have to agree tbh, from what you've said you and your friend were being sensible and only had smaller fireworks that were appropriate for the space available. The fact that he came round and said you can't have them because there 'are telephone cables' is utter bullshit. Our BFN firing garden has three cables over it. We've fired fireworks there for 4 years and never has there been any problem at all. Obviously, we don't use fanned pieces as there may well be a problem there if we did, but rockets, candles and cakes have been fired with no problems at all. As for too built up, that is just nonsence as well.

Your letter however, by saying that the new CE fireworks are too powerful for a back garden probably wasn't the best idea, it gives them more ammo to go on an anti-fireworks rant. The complaint of the fire officers conduct is fair enough, but i wouldn't have said anything about the new regs.
They probably already know about the new european standard items that are coming in anyway and probably won't stop them being sold and used. Being in Europe as we are, we have to kowtow to them anyway and BS7114 is slowly being phased out by the new firework products coming into the country and being sold by UK importers. ;)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
They probably already know about the new european standard items that are coming in anyway and probably won't stop them being sold and used. Being in Europe as we are, we have to kowtow to them anyway and BS7114 is slowly being phased out by the new firework products coming into the country and being sold by UK importers. ;)
They probably do, but i still think it would have been best not to mention it. They are clearly against fireworks and anything they get, particularly from a fireworks enthusiast, they'll use against the use of them

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
They tell people every year not to use fireworks and go to organised displays but people STILL ignore that advice and go ahead with fireworks at home regardless so it falls on deaf ears basically.

Fireworks today are much safer than they ever been, and provided you take precautions and be careful at all times, there is no way these new large 8m garden firework items will cause harm.

I personally think that the bigger and/or powerful Cat 2 items should have a spectator distance of 15 metres-magnum series have seen sense and put this in the instructions on their powerful Cat 2 items and maybe the fire service should liase with the UK fireworks industry to make this standard across all large and/or powerful CE Cat 2 garden firework items instead of fighting the importers and wanting them banned.

The manufacturers have more of a leg to stand on than trading standards and the fire service will ever do. :)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I always hope that it does fall on deaf ears, but just like a child keeping on to their parents, at some point people will start to pay attention. Hopefully it won't happen on a large scale.

I've always said that the only way fireworks can cause harm is if they aren't used properly. As long as you obey safety distances and ensure that the firework cannot fall over, there should never be an issue.

And i completely agree, if other manufacturers follow Magnums lead, it will reduce any threat of injury when fireworks are operated properly from extremely low (there will always be a small risk, they are explosives after all) to almost non-existent.