Arcadia Selection Box By Fireworks Direct - Re-branded 90’s Black Cat

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
This is a great looking box of old BS standards 25m display fireworks, all weighty pieces with little to no over packaging. Real good mixture with decent cakes (even a 30mm bore), a couple of mines, a wheel, air bombs, bazooka candles, and a selection of fountains of all sizes. This box has the Fireworks Direct logo, but I've been told is made by Cube, possibly some re-wrapped Black Cat in there as well with the smaller fountains. One of the cakes, Thunder Flash, uses the exact same font for the word Thunder and the lightning in the name which are found on the Thunder King colour bomb made by Cube so it makes sense they made it. I've also been told that a lot of the pieces have a high flash content and are very loud. The only other person I know of that has this box is Nigel from Galactic, he replied to my email but couldn't give me any information about it. If anyone has fired it, seen it and has info please pass it on. Enjoy...

Top of Box
Top Box.jpg
Side view of box
Top Box.jpg
Contents.... what a proper box of fireworks should look like
Inside Box.jpg
Top view of the cakes
Top Cakes.jpg
Side view of cakesSide Cakes.jpg
2 pint milk jug for reference of largest cake size
Large Cake.jpg
Largest fountains
Display Fountains.jpg
Mines
Mines.jpg
Smaller fountains, some of these 25m and a wheel.
Smaller Fountains & Wheel.jpg
Air bombs and roman Candles
Roman Candles & Air Bombs.jpg

Attachments

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
Also noticed that the font used for Shell Bazooka and Bazooka Shots is the same used on the Cube Army Box which is an unusual font to use (not seen on other fireworks), further evidence that this is indeed made by Cube, or at least the larger items.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
Some of that stuff looks suspiciously like older Black Cat stuff that's been flogged off to Fireworks Direct London prior to the merger with Standard and they've put their labels and monikers on it.........

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
Some of that stuff looks suspiciously like old Black Cat stuff that's been flogged off to Fireworks Direct London prior to the merger with Standard and they've put their labels and monikers on it.........
Yeah ,that's what I've been told mix of Cube and Black Cat... which ones look like Black Cat to you?I was told the smaller fountains and the air bombs. This box is from 2000 which is pre-cube, but apparently was put together by people that eventually became? Maybe that info is incorrect though.

Last edited:

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
The bigger Cat 3 25 metre fountains / bigger mines and smaller mines / some plastic tall spiked roman candles and one without a spike / the three roman candles / some smaller fountains and a few of the cakes and the wheel (suspiciously a BC Flywheel relabelled) look like ex Black Cat items they have picked up from Black Cat prior to the Standard / BC merger.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe ciabatti

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
The bigger Cat 3 25 metre fountains / bigger mines and smaller mines / some plastic tall spiked roman candles and one without a spike / the three roman candles / some smaller fountains and a few of the cakes and the wheel (suspiciously a BC Flywheel relabelled) look like ex Black Cat items they have picked up from Black Cat prior to the Standard / BC merger.....
Maybe it's all re-branded Black Cat, then... Still be a good box as they were class in the 90's. That large cake may be an Orion's Bomb which would be great and possibly the Hale Bop, Red Comets and Green Bamboo?

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
Maybe it's all re-branded Black Cat, then... Still be a good box as they were class in the 90's. That large cake may be an Orion's Bomb which would be great and possibly the Hale Bop, Red Comets and Green Bamboo?
A good few of them (on close inspection) do look surprisingly similar to old BC stuff and that huge 7 shotter barrage does indeed look like a rebadged Black Cat Orion's Bomb...and the 37 shotter looks like an old BC Dragon Disporting Pearls (also a Black Cat piece) ;)

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
What do you recon, keep it or fire it?
Looks a good pyro collector's box, if you wanna keep it then keep it, it's worth savouring because you won't ever find this sort of pyro quality ever again....

Last edited:

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
I think the Fireworks Direct Whirlwind Scorcher cake is a rebadged BC Silver Spirals, and the Fireworks Direct Thunder Flash cake is a rebadged BC Thunder King, and it will be good if they are! ;)

Reactions: Joe ciabatti

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
I think it could be a BC Dragon Disporting Pearls : if I remember rightly, it was a 37 shot cake of coloured effects crackles, and I think it also did, whistles too......
I think you might be right!
I'd save it till we do a meet up Joe, then you can share it with all of us ;)
My curiosity says fire it, my heart says keep. I doubt there are many of these about and they look great which make me more inclined to keep it. BTW, you able to modify the title to re-branded 90's Black Cat?

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
All that content was actually contained in the brilliant Black Cat Lion selection box which I've had a few times and set off, and the performance and quality of the effects, the superb sounds, the sheer enjoyment factor and totally amazing wow element and great value for money made it an absolutely superb choice for the private family fireworks display.

Sadly the likes of, which we have never ever seen since............and will never ever see again.

Since Standard Fireworks UK got into bed with Black Cat in a somewhat misguided and extremely ill advised marriage of convenience, the goodness of both product lines is far too familiar and far too common with a mere rebadging exercise and Standard reduced to just a mere name badge on Black Cat manufactured fireworks.

A sad end to a good company.

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
Great stuff @AnthonyUKpyro !!! Would you happen to have any photos of the Lion Selection box? Glad to here the contents are good quality. Funny enough that gives me less o an incentive to fire it now. I'd be more inclined to fire it if the items were rubbish to make spac for something better!

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 4th
Feb 13, 2013
Great stuff @AnthonyUKpyro !!! Would you happen to have any photos of the Lion Selection box? Glad to here the contents are good quality. Funny enough that gives me less o an incentive to fire it now. I'd be more inclined to fire it if the items were rubbish to make spac for something better!
Never kept any Lion boxes always bought one for Nov 5 and fired it under Black Cat's rein until they discontinued the Cat range of selection boxes......