Aldi Parking Fine!

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
Hi all, Well a friend of mine on facebook shared this with aldi. Complete rip off Be aware of it.

I have today received a Parking charge notice from Parking Eye for using an ALID car park on the Ring Road Stourbridge while shopping in their store.

My wife started using this store a few months ago and has been try to get me to do the same; I usually shop at Tesco who have a free car park just a few 100 yards away. I gave into my wife’s suggestion and use the store for the first time. I was impressed that and even returned at the same time a week later (I will expect a notice for that date as too?).

It was not clear to me that I needed to do anything about parking at the store and this strange system is totally alien to me. I have had no such problems at Tesco just round the corner or any other store in my life time. With this being such an unusual system I would expect till staff to bring it to my attention or issue a notice to warn valued customers. I had no idea I would be so inconvenienced by shopping at ALDI. If I have to pay this fee, this trip will have cost me almost double what I spent at the store. I was also under the impression it was not legal to make a profit from store car parks?

Be interested to hear from ALDI and others experiencing this same injustice.

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
I think he just used the parking area and they assumed he did not use the store. He is in complete battle with customer service over it at moment, Here is the latest.

UPDATE to parking fiasco at Aldi Stourbridge Ring Road.: I did contact customer support at the email suggested by admin here but the reply was of little help; just a suggestion that I might appeal to Parking Eye. It was inferred that to appeal I would need proof of purchase: receipt or bank statement. I paid using cash - who keeps receipts for groceries for more than a few days? I am becoming angrier by the day by this extortion. A quick Google search shows I am not the only person Parking Eye are ripping off with Aldi's help!

I have replied with this:

Dear Mr Jak
Thank you for your reply.
While I understand the need for some car park controls I do not understand why such controls should be so easy to fall fowl of. The system at this particular store is not common at all and requires your customers to input their vehicle registration details in a system before leaving the store. I was not aware of this and it was not bought to my attention by any store staff. While I'm sure you will say there is signage about this at the store, I did not see it and from a quick Google search on the matter I see many others have also been TRICKED in this way.

On this particular visit to YOUR store I paid with cash and as I purchase grocery products I did not keep the receipt. I'm sure you have CCTV in operation at the store and could verify I am telling the truth. It was not busy and I would guess no more than a hand full of cars was on YOUR car park at the time; hence it would not be hard to clarify.

I do not find the reply you sent helpful in the slightest. This matter has already cost me valuable time to deal with and I do not see why I should be inconvenienced in this way for shopping at Aldi. If you are at all interested in keeping my family as customers then please deal with this as a matter of urgency.

King regards
The link to the situation is here. (Paul Tovey - I have today received a Parking charge notice... | Facebook

Rich

Esquire the 2nd
Oct 7, 2012
Kent
lol i saw this on his Facebook. even Fireworks United have shared it lol!

Reactions: gaz

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
Ah, looks like he didnt enter his registration plate upon leaving.

Only way he can really argue his case is if he proves there are no clear signs etc stating what to do when parking at that particular store.

If it was me, i'd have just binned the letter, but as he has posted about it, he can't really do that now lol

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
Ah, looks like he didnt enter his registration plate upon leaving.

Only way he can really argue his case is if he proves there are no clear signs etc stating what to do when parking at that particular store.

If it was me, i'd have just binned the letter, but as he has posted about it, he can't really do that now lol
That's problem there was no signs and if there where no one could see them

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
And tbh I would have done same. Pay enough out in these places there better ways of dealing with parking then getting people to payout more.

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
I've had a couple before, mostly overnight stops at services, where you need to pay £8 to sleep in your car for more than two hours in a car park with 2,000 spaces and only 4 cars there at the time.

They said I was potentially causing others parking issues and causing business to lose revenue from cars who could not find a space.

Not sure how that works though, unless the other 1,996 spaces had invisible cars in them :p

gaz

Administrator
Sovereign the 6th
Oct 6, 2012
Solihull
I've had a couple before, mostly overnight stops at services, where you need to pay £8 to sleep in your car for more than two hours in a car park with 2,000 spaces and only 4 cars there at the time.

They said I was potentially causing others parking issues and causing business to lose revenue from cars who could not find a space.

Not sure how that works though, unless the other 1,996 spaces had invisible cars in them :p
Lol. More profit to be made it's madness

zephieish

Royal Knight the 1st
Sep 6, 2014
West Midlands
I think if he takes a few photos of where he was parked, and the walk to the store, he should be fine :)

Unless theyve repaired / put more signs up since lol

Reactions: Somersetpyro

pyro-rob

Royal Knight the 3rd
Oct 13, 2012
Bristol
Sure they can only legally bill you. In my old work place we used to keep getting them even though we work for the shop and it was our car park.