2017 On Category 3 Fireworks Will This All Fall To 15m?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
I have a bit of a question;when BS7114 is finally abolished come 4th July 2017, will ALL Category 3 CE Fireworks automatically reduce to 15 metres spectators safety viewing distance? This is slightly worrying as powerful Category 3 CE stuff that NEEDS to stay within a 25 metre classification could, potentially, be pushed to 15 metres and possibly put spectators at risk of "standing too close" to them. I know things like large wheels and small stuff that is quite tame will be pushed, and is indeed, being pushed to 15 metres, as the old spec BS7114 Cat 3 display fireworks are slowly being phased out, and new stuff comes in to replace it under the new Cat 3 CE regs, and larger selection boxes with bigger items in them like Bright Star's Imperial and Presidential boxes and the range topping ESCO Mardi Gras (and some selection boxes below those too) could possibly go to 15 metres too. ;)

Last edited:

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I can almost guarantee this won't happen. There seems to have been a lot of confusion with the new CE Cat 3 safety distances, whether they will be 15 or 25m. From what i can tell, the 15m is only for the firer, as this is deemed a reasonable distance for someone to retire to in the time it takes for the visco to ignite the firework. The Spectator distance is still 25m for CE products. This is certainly how things seem to be, for example this large rocket from AF which is CE marked:

IMG_0058[1].JPG

And from the industry point of view, reducing the safety distance to 15m would be a complete recipe for disaster, so if i am incorrect, i can still see them sticking to the 25m spectator distance

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
Some existing retail firework stuff from some manufacturers/importers and distributors that WAS classified as Category 3 25 metres under the old BS 7114 Part 2 1988 requirements is currently re-emerging as new 15 metre fireworks.

Cosmic Cyclone Wheels, Cosmic Glitter Fountain are two such examples of changing spectator safety distances under the new CE regs where anything that was 25 metres is steadily changing to the new 15 metres spectator distance and probably be reclassified as a CE Category 2 items, this will naturally increase up to the deadline July 4th 2017 where ALL retail fireworks must be CE marked AND be BS-EN15947 compliant.

My thinking is that large top-of-the-line selection boxes such as Bright Star Presidential and Bright Star Imperial plus ESCO Mardi Gras, as well, may, well be re-classified as Cat 2 15 metre selection boxes with Cat 2 15 metre distances on the big Bright Star 56-Shot Star Finder Barrage and ESCO 56-Shot Sky Jubilee Barrage (and possibly the mines too;as these would be far too powerful for a Cat 2 8 metre distance), and the 3 bar roman candle fountain bouquet contained in the Bright Star Presidential Selection Box would probably drop to 15 metres as well. ;)

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Ah, now that is completely different. That is a category 3 product being re-classified to category 2, which would then have a 8m safety distance. The manufacturer however has recognised that this is too close, so is increasing it to 15m for safety. They aren't remaining as category 3, with a reduced distance, they are being completely re-classified as cat 2. Therefore, all the biggest cakes with more than 500g Nec, will stay as 25m which they need