Will fireworks this year be affected by the Coronavirus pandemic?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
Just had a thought, will this year's bonfire night celebrations be affected by the Coronavirus pandemic this year in any way?

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I strongly suspect there'll be - at best - strict restrictions on the number of people who can attend events. That's if they're even allowed to take place at all. I actually think there'll be a big increase in home displays this year, it's a lot safer for people than having to be in big groups in the park or local pub garden, no risks with multiple people handling food condiments and things

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
I strongly suspect there'll be - at best - strict restrictions on the number of people who can attend events. That's if they're even allowed to take place at all. I actually think there'll be a big increase in home displays this year, it's a lot safer for people than having to be in big groups in the park or local pub garden, no risks with multiple people handling food condiments and things
If bonfire and firework events are restricted by limiting numbers allowed into them, along with strict 2m distancing requirements, which are quite sadly unrealistic and unworkable, it could well change a lot of people's decisions and make them choose to set off fireworks at home instead.

And you're right, some event organisers will be literally pulling their hair out and having sleepless nights at the extreme requirements that are imposed on them by govt that they may simply decide "it's not worth it" and just cancel their events, because in reality, it's just not worth the trouble with the amount of measures they would have to put in place i.e 2 metre distancing at display site entrances with controls on numbers, reduced audience capacity with socially distanced spacing in spectator areas and stewards expected to enforce these rules as well as keep the reduced crowds under control, as well as socially distanced 2 metre queues for food and drink.

Last edited:

Duskyfuse

Noble the 3rd
Dec 25, 2018
Birmingham
Large organised firework displays shall be affected hugely and we can expect a significant drop in public shows. I am also of the belief that home displays should peak this year as a result.

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
Large organised firework displays shall be affected hugely and we can expect a significant drop in public shows. I am also of the belief that home displays should peak this year as a result.
Many will see things as they stand not worth it with the excessive and unfair Govt measures and in all reality, they are realistically unreasonable and unworkable but the Govt doesn't think so 'it's for our own good' is their mantra, and with these excessive measures, the thought of it and reduced audience numbers and stress of it all will unfortunately put many event organisers off.

Last edited:

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Many will see things as they stand not worth it with the excessive and unfair Govt measures and in all reality, they are realistically unreasonable and unworkable but the Govt doesn't think so 'it's for our own good' is their mantra, and with these excessive measures, the thought of it and reduced audience numbers and stress of it all will unfortunately put many event organisers off.
Unfortunately, I do feel that the restrictions on public gatherings are badly needed still. At least with the limited friends and family we can see now, you know that those people will be sensible and careful. The same cannot be said for the general public. I've worked throughout this pandemic bar my own experience of possibly having Covid, and I can say that a lot of people just don't bother social distancing. Sadly, the British people can't be trusted to do things properly or sensibly, so the very tight restrictions on gatherings have to be there.

Reactions: SilberWirbel

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
Unfortunately, I do feel that the restrictions on public gatherings are badly needed still. At least with the limited friends and family we can see now, you know that those people will be sensible and careful. The same cannot be said for the general public. I've worked throughout this pandemic bar my own experience of possibly having Covid, and I can say that a lot of people just don't bother social distancing. Sadly, the British people can't be trusted to do things properly or sensibly, so the very tight restrictions on gatherings have to be there.
Also it could lead to some very fruitful moments between event staff and spectators with flaring simmering tempers, verbal abuse, stroppy attitudes, anger and resentment which could end up with these events cancelled in their prime and people sent home in disgrace.

Joe Public as has been shown in the current news footage ie crowding of beaches beauty spots etc, will not be told what to do by the Government and those in authority - fact. They don't like it full stop.

Last edited:

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Also it could lead to some very fruitful moments between event staff and spectators with flaring tempers, stroppy attitudes, anger and resentment which could end up with events cancelled in their prime and people sent home in disgrace. Joe Public as has been shown in the current news footage ie crowding of beaches beauty spots etc, will not be told what to do by the Government and those in authority - fact.
Unfortunately, this is true, and I think it's very sad really. There seems to be a feeling from some that we're doing all this for the government, that it's just there to make the Tories look good. If only that was the case. But really we should all do it for ourselves, and for the vulnerable friends and family we all have. I've not done this lockdown properly for myself, i'm young and healthy and i've likely already had it anyway. But for my elderly grandparents, one of which has very poor health, catching covid would be disastrous. That's why we should all be sensible, and do as we're told. But people are selfish, and do what they want, and because of that, our death toll will be even higher than it could've been

Firey Dave

Baronet
Oct 25, 2014
Just wondered if anyone had seen public displays being advertised yet? As the 49th annual display where I am in Ipswich has had details released with tickets apparently going in sale 5th October. They are planning to hold the display on 31st October this year with it dubbed a (Halloween Spooktacular). It's away's a big affair with thousands going. And another big display is now on sale for November 7th. This is a new one for the town held at the showground. Looks like it to will be big with food offerings and funfair etc, however with S Club and East 17 performing on stage I think I could miss this one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
Just wondered if anyone had seen public displays being advertised yet? As the 49th annual display where I am in Ipswich has had details released with tickets apparently going in sale 5th October. They are planning to hold the display on 31st October this year with it dubbed a (Halloween Spooktacular). It's away's a big affair with thousands going. And another big display is now on sale for November 7th. This is a new one for the town held at the showground. Looks like it to will be big with food offerings and funfair etc, however with S Club and East 17 performing on stage I think I could miss this one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Large event, risk of big problems. I wonder how many will attend if everything is 2 metre social distanced and numbers have to be restricted?

It might cause some fruity moments with kicking off towards crowd control stewards whom have to limit the numbers with the chance of extremely stroppy attitudes breaking out, and even very angry spectators assaulting and punching event staff when it's not their their fault for enforcing the rules imposed by the current Government.

There has been a high level of assaults across the country in Co-op Food stores over the non-wearing of masks (saw it on a BBC Breakfast report this week) and there is a risk that this could spread to stewards enforcing social distancing and limiting crowd numbers at outdoor bonfires and fireworks events that are happening and manage to happen (at least in the case of those that are allowed to happen this year).

It'll only take some angry people who've been denied access to get angry with stewards at the entrances to unfairly target those stewards whom are only enforcing crowd number limits imposed by the Govt and punch ten bells of muck out of them, and with police fire brigades and ambulances here there and everywhere tackling problem bonfires, kids messing with fireworks and tending to unofficial bonfire injuries and domestic firework injuries, it would be hard to get a response to attend instances of violence at fireworks displays and bonfire events where angry spectators are disrespecting the rules on social distancing and crowd numbers and are attacking stewards whom are merely doing as they are told in enforcing the rules.

If you are attending an event this year, then please, respect the staff and stewards, because it isn't their fault that they have to enforce these limited number / social distancing rules imposed by the Govt.

#pleasebekind #pleasebepatient #pleasedoasyouaretold and most of all, even if you don't like it, and before you attempt to cause a fallout or fight, #pleasefollowtherules

It's a sad indictment these days of Joe Public that they refuse to follow Govt guidelines and will not be told what to do by Govt and follow it, that those in power have to get tough and take unfair and draconian measures that will affect all of us in the long run.

Last edited:

Firey Dave

Baronet
Oct 25, 2014
I completely agree, I was tbh quite surprised that they are even considering events on this scale and was really curious if others had seen other BFN events seemingly happening. Of course I suppose that the scale of these events requires early planning and they would argue it's easy to plan it all and then pull the plug a week before if it can't go ahead.... I dunno it just all seems a bit daft to be considering these mass events to me, when so many smaller things have been cancelled.

Duskyfuse

Noble the 3rd
Dec 25, 2018
Birmingham
I have tickets for the Abingdon Summer Firework Festival next week and am looking forward to it.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
If these events are well organised and ticketed, then they could work. Certainly larger ones, with lots of space (like Abingdon, which is massive) can make it work in terms of social distancing. I would imagine finance is going to be more restrictive for the big shows, as the reduced numbers naturally means reduced income

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
If these events are well organised and ticketed, then they could work. Certainly larger ones, with lots of space (like Abingdon, which is massive) can make it work in terms of social distancing. I would imagine finance is going to be more restrictive for the big shows, as the reduced numbers naturally means reduced income
If they don't make enough money at the end and they haven't had the numbers to make up the income, they could very well say 'scrap it totally' until totally non socially distanced normality and the current restrictions are abolished.

This social distancing / reduced audience numbers lark could see off and will probably finish off a few annual bonfires and annual Halloween / November / New Years Eve fireworks displays for good if it becomes financially unviable through social distancing and reduced audience numbers.

Sep 14, 2018
Cumbria
Just had a thought, will this year's bonfire night celebrations be affected by the Coronavirus pandemic this year in any way?
I think my local event will be cancelled as there is usally around 30,000 people and they would have to really reduce the capacity and spend money in fencing and its probably not worth it for them unfortunately

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
I think my local event will be cancelled as there is usally around 30,000 people and they would have to really reduce the capacity and spend money in fencing and its probably not worth it for them unfortunately
Just as I thought. A lot of events will probably fall by the wayside this year, especially large public firework displays and bonfires. Social distancing just makes it nigh on impossible.

Firey Dave

Baronet
Oct 25, 2014
They're already selling tickets for one event in my town, Ipswich. And the the huge event that's been going for about 40 years is advertised as being Halloween event this year (they've done this a couple of times in recent years) and scheduled for October 31st. I'd be very surprised if it went ahead though, even if they did away with the fair, bonfires, entertainment and all that there would still be thousands of people to manage.