Vertical take-off spinner fireworks being sold in the UK under CE-F2 at 15m spectator distance, what is the likelihood of this?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
I've noticed on the European continent, that vertical take-off spinner style fireworks are allowed under CE regulations badged as CE-F2 8m spectator distance or 15m spectator distance or CE-F3 25m spectator distance according to their power, potency and hazard risk.

If these were imported officially into the UK by a European or UK importer under CE-F2 but given a 15 metres spectators safety distance and a firer safety distance of 8 metres, then what would be the problem or legality of selling these here? These things would be safe at 15 metres and present no problems to the public imho.

Reactions: SilberWirbel

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
The issue here is fireworks with "erratic flight" are explicitly banned here. So an importer would have to argue and prove that they don't have erratic flight, which would be hard to do
If they were set off at 15 metres away or 25 metres downwind from spectators and they were categorised CE-F2 15m spectator / 8m firer or CE-F3 25m spectator / 15m firer then they wouldn't be a problem.

At 8 metres yes there would be a problem especially where they eject a shower of crackles or pops at their peak (some of the ones sold on the European continent do indeed eject crackles or pops at the top of their flight), and if you were to use them in windy conditions, they'd track into the wind and spin and fly in the direction of the wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilberWirbel
Sep 27, 2019
earth
If they were set off at 15 metres away or 25 metres downwind from spectators and they were categorised CE-F2 15m spectator / 8m firer or CE-F3 25m spectator / 15m firer then they wouldn't be a problem.

At 8 metres yes there would be a problem especially where they eject a shower of crackles or pops at their peak (some of the ones sold on the European continent do indeed eject crackles or pops at the top of their flight), and if you were to use them in windy conditions, they'd track into the wind and spin and fly in the direction of the wind.
Wont work like that. Because then you're breaking the CE.

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
OK South Yorkshire if you think you claim to know everything, those CE-F2 and CE-F3 specifications are already hammered into CE regulations for consumer fireworks, if you think you know-it-all (and you honestly don't!).

CE marking and requirements for UK consumer fireworks will continue after Brexit on 31st December this year until such time as the UK's own mark UKCA kicks in, which will eventually replace the CE mark on UK consumer fireworks after a transitionary period, probably of two to three years unless UK firework importers / distributors can get it in place much sooner, where UK firework companies CE marked stock is run down, but even then, what comes in place under the new UKCA marking will be exactly the same in specifications as CE consumer fireworks i.e. NEC / powder weight and fireworks size / fusing / safety distances etc until such time as the UK can break away from this and specify its own requirements on UK market consumer firework products to go with the new UKCA marking.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019
earth
So that mean's yes you know a Law change will be needed for the Vert-spinners.

Brexit already happened.

On the HSE fireworks we are still CE as of 2020, Future trade with CE is ? But will most likely happen. Unless CE change's to with the UK or CE

Sep 27, 2019
earth
A Law Change would be needed for Germany to sell CE F3 to joe public.

A Law Change would be needed for Republic of Ireland to sell CE F2-F3 to joe public.

Oct 13, 2012
swansea
I have seen these in the States and some do go pretty straight up , though i love the zips which can be erratic.
As far as the law here is concerned , i think its absurd. Considering what we can buy , i think Zips ,ladybugs etc are harmless, given a sensible safety distance , and would attract far less complaints from neighbours than say Hawk rockets or any 1.3g firework come to think of it.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I have seen these in the States and some do go pretty straight up , though i love the zips which can be erratic.
As far as the law here is concerned , i think its absurd. Considering what we can buy , i think Zips ,ladybugs etc are harmless, given a sensible safety distance , and would attract far less complaints from neighbours than say Hawk rockets or any 1.3g firework come to think of it.
They're certainly rather quieter lol. I'd love to see those types of things here, they're exactly the sort of fun pyro that would do so well in our market

Sep 14, 2018
Cumbria
I've noticed on the European continent, that vertical take-off spinner style fireworks are allowed under CE regulations badged as CE-F2 8m spectator distance or 15m spectator distance or CE-F3 25m spectator distance according to their power, potency and hazard risk.

If these were imported officially into the UK by a European or UK importer under CE-F2 but given a 15 metres spectators safety distance and a firer safety distance of 8 metres, then what would be the problem or legality of selling these here? These things would be safe at 15 metres and present no problems to the public imho.
I could see more novelty fireworks like that coming into the country as we have started to see more pop up and galactic now stock ones that spin on the floor so ones that go into the air are a possibility in my eyes

Vladster

Esquire the 5th
Oct 12, 2012
Edinburgh
couple of zip vids .

I'd happily set them off knowing that i'd be responsible in doing so but can you imagine all the idiots out there who would set them off whilst standing a few feet away, they're too erratic and the potential for injury is too great imo....it's a pity but they're banned for a reason :(

Reactions: zephieish