Information Forum Meet Up 2020

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now

9Which event would be your preference for a forum meet?

• Abingdon Summer Fireworks Festival, early August

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Festival of Fireworks, Catton Hall, Sat 5th September

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Firework Champions, Ragley Hall, Sat 12th September

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firework Champions, Stanford Hall, Sat 1st August

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I want to come but none of these are suitable

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Blackpool World Championships

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Southport BMFC

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

south yorkshire

Noble the 3rd
Sep 27, 2019
earth
Could still see yourself spending £150 at Catton Hall with ticket, food and drinks plus Hotel. Then £50 to get there.

Didn't know you tried looking for a place. Just saw that piece of land and for £250 for a weekend thought it looked ok. Maybe hidden costs for the use of toilet's and electricity. Did think people would do camping.

south yorkshire

Noble the 3rd
Sep 27, 2019
earth
Trust me when I say @Gaz and I looked at every possible way of holding a private meet. Our options was bear the cost between the admin and mod team for the land (as I'm sure everyone can appreciate, the 3 of us don't have £2k knocking around), or expect everyone to chip in, meaning once you include hotels, food, drink, pyro and the land + facilities, you'd be looking at £150 each member, and that's before you include travelling. For some context, it would cost me around £50 to travel from Somerset to somewhere like Derby in the centre of the country. Imagine how much it would be for our Scottish members. As a result our only conclusion is it's not viable, unless we get a member turn up who lives somewhere between Birmingham and Manchester who happens to have a field :)

That's why I thought about 'Hijacking' an existing event and holding a meet there. Not only is it much easier to organise (ie I have to do very little other than select the event), it's far cheaper, and we'll likely see far better pyro that way too lol
I would have expected people to chip in with costs to cover venue. Food and Drinks bring your own or buy when there. Find a supermarket. Camping is in venue fee or opt to buy your own Hotel stay.

Travel cost is your own cost, just try to make venue near a train station. Fireworks could be ordered and brought from 1 person delivered to a different address. Hopefully the van guy.

Fireworks bring your own. Or try to get a van. Say I bulk buy 4 boxes from Galactic bulk buy section, spend £300-£400 very hard to get there.

south yorkshire

Noble the 3rd
Sep 27, 2019
earth
Trust me when I say @Gaz and I looked at every possible way of holding a private meet. Our options was bear the cost between the admin and mod team for the land (as I'm sure everyone can appreciate, the 3 of us don't have £2k knocking around), or expect everyone to chip in, meaning once you include hotels, food, drink, pyro and the land + facilities, you'd be looking at £150 each member, and that's before you include travelling. For some context, it would cost me around £50 to travel from Somerset to somewhere like Derby in the centre of the country. Imagine how much it would be for our Scottish members. As a result our only conclusion is it's not viable, unless we get a member turn up who lives somewhere between Birmingham and Manchester who happens to have a field :)

That's why I thought about 'Hijacking' an existing event and holding a meet there. Not only is it much easier to organise (ie I have to do very little other than select the event), it's far cheaper, and we'll likely see far better pyro that way too lol
Were you going to hire the land and only fire your own fireworks yourselves? Bravo if you did think of that, much wow.

south yorkshire

Noble the 3rd
Sep 27, 2019
earth
I'll be up for a firework meet. Camping with BBQ. £300-£400 spend my self on fireworks. 10 people at £30 cover costs of venue. April time.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
I'll be up for a firework meet. Camping with BBQ. £300-£400 spend my self on fireworks. 10 people at £30 cover costs of venue. April time.
Trust me mate, I spent a long time looking at the options. There's costs you don't think of which get really pricey. Not least the possibility of needing insurance, then toilets, genny, not to mention the sheer amount of time it takes to organise it. If we thought it was in any way viable then it would've happened, there's clear appetite for it, but unfortunately there's just too many hurdles to jump over for 3 blokes with no event running experience afaik

south yorkshire

Noble the 3rd
Sep 27, 2019
earth
Trust me mate, I spent a long time looking at the options. There's costs you don't think of which get really pricey. Not least the possibility of needing insurance, then toilets, genny, not to mention the sheer amount of time it takes to organise it. If we thought it was in any way viable then it would've happened, there's clear appetite for it, but unfortunately there's just too many hurdles to jump over for 3 blokes with no event running experience afaik
I get there are some costs I wont think about.

Maybe keep the option open and if you can get 10 people. There is 1 problem there 10 people agreeing on a date.

Wouldn't thought you'll need insurance on private land and only using cat 3 stuff.

FATKAT24

Baronet the 2nd
Oct 19, 2012
Harrow
I get there are some costs I wont think about.

Maybe keep the option open and if you can get 10 people. There is 1 problem there 10 people agreeing on a date.

Wouldn't thought you'll need insurance on private land and only using cat 3 stuff.
Some landlords require there to be insurance in place before they would consider letting you hire the land, this is to cover any hishaps

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 2nd
Feb 13, 2013
:wow:WTF
Some landlords require there to be insurance in place before they would consider letting you hire the land, this is to cover any mishaps
Very true. If something went wrong with a powerful 1.3G CE-F3 25 metres firework set off by one of us and it caused property damage or personal injury the blame would instantly fall to our group. Those whom insist on insurance are only covering their own backs while those whom don't would probably use their trust and discretion accordingly and don't see it as a necessity ;)

south yorkshire

Noble the 3rd
Sep 27, 2019
earth
:wow:WTF

Very true. If something went wrong with a powerful 1.3G CE-F3 25 metres firework set off by one of us and it caused property damage or personal injury the blame would instantly fall to our group. Those whom insist on insurance are only covering their own backs while those whom don't would probably use their trust and discretion accordingly and don't see it as a necessity ;)

That's nice too know insurance is not needed. As that's where I could see where a lot of money can go.

Property damage would be non as its in a field. And if I looked at the photo from Land Hire empty fields all around.

Personal injury could happen anywhere at any time.

The only insurance I think would be needed is Vacant land Insurance and that's provided by the land owner.

south yorkshire

Noble the 3rd
Sep 27, 2019
earth
www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/fireworks/using.htm

From HSE: Public liability insurance is not required by health and safety law. However, if you are manufacturing or storing explosives (including fireworks) you may wish to take out public liability insurance. Many industry trade associations and professional bodies require this as a condition of membership. Professional display operators using category F4 fireworks, T2 theatrical pyrotechnics or P2 pyrotechnic articles are required by product safety law to have public liability insurance in place covering their use.

Somersetpyro

S-T Fireworks Guardian
Dec 16, 2013
Taunton
Okay, time to set something in motion now it's 2020 :) I think the best solution is to go for 2 meets, one at Catton Hall and the other at Blackpool. Members could then attend either or both of these in a half organised way lol. I personally will be trying to get up to Catton, though Blackpool will be a challenge. But i'll make a couple of threads and we can see how it goes

Reactions: Duskyfuse