2021 UK Firework Awards

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.
Register now
Buy Fireworks From Our Sponsors!
Dec 25, 2018
Birmingham
For those that don't know voting is currently open for the 2021 UK Firework Awards. There are 13 categories spanning many different firework types and these include shortlisted fireworks that have been carefully chosen by a group of 7 firework enthusiasts over the course of many months.

From an initial list of over 350 individual fireworks 12 fireworks have been shortlisted in each of the categories so that the general public can vote which fireworks are worthy of an award.

Voting closes in just 5 days time.

Reactions: SilberWirbel

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
The small category firework was a bit strange. Zeus crown 500 was the winner and it's a 495 nec cake with 30mm bore! I think that category should have been limited to 200-250g up to 20mm bore.

Reactions: AnthonyUKpyro
Dec 25, 2018
Birmingham
The small category firework was a bit strange. Zeus crown 500 was the winner and it's a 495 nec cake with 30mm bore! I think that category should have been limited to 200-250g up to 20mm bore.
I saw the same point being raised on the UK Firework Alliance facebook page to which they replied the following-

"We spent two months working out the categories and believe me, what we have is the best way of doing it, It's F2 and has less than 25 shots so fits the criteria of small cake. If we considered NEC, shot count, bore size and category we'd end up with either 500 cakes that would fit into 3 separate categories or 15 categories that would make no logical sense. Under the old BS standard it would have been easier but as CE allows F2 cakes that are up to 500g NEC and up to 30mm bore we had to create categories we thought would work best. We welcome suggestions though if you have any thoughts about how best to separate the categories. office@fireworksawards.uk"

If anything this highlights the fundamental flaws with the current CE marking structure.

Joe ciabatti

Baronet
Jan 12, 2017
London
Still not convinced with the process. I can agree with the thinking behind it being F2 and less than 25 shots, but a 30mm bore being classed as a small fireworks?! I think most people's perception of small firework would be something like an angel dust etc. that can be fired in most gardens, not 25g nec per tube. Still, I wouldn't want to have come up with the categories as it would have been a complete ball ache .

AnthonyUKpyro

Royal Knight the 3rd
Feb 13, 2013
I saw the same point being raised on the UK Firework Alliance facebook page to which they replied the following-

"We spent two months working out the categories and believe me, what we have is the best way of doing it, It's F2 and has less than 25 shots so fits the criteria of small cake. If we considered NEC, shot count, bore size and category we'd end up with either 500 cakes that would fit into 3 separate categories or 15 categories that would make no logical sense. Under the old BS standard it would have been easier but as CE allows F2 cakes that are up to 500g NEC and up to 30mm bore we had to create categories we thought would work best. We welcome suggestions though if you have any thoughts about how best to separate the categories. office@fireworksawards.uk"

If anything this highlights the fundamental flaws with the current CE marking structure.
I would never give ANYTHING with a 30mm bore an F2 8m or 15m spectator safety distance no matter how lightweight it is in NEC content, because something like that at less than 25m in the confines of a back garden is asking for trouble and this is where CE fireworks specification / testing and classification fails.

Anything of 30mm bore should be at least 25 metres away from an audience due the size of the debris falling back to the ground i.e tubes cardboard discs clay bungs etc.

Reactions: cossi and Duskyfuse